Proper mixture for slurry ?

Old 12-24-06, 05:25 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Proper mixture for slurry ?

About a week ago i was asking here about the differant shades of concrete that my job was turning out to be, as i was trying to make a path for my mother.but i could only do a small section at a time, because of my health.

Well i have just about finished it now and getting ready to start thinking about a colored mortar mix [slurry]to go all over the job, to establish an all over better even colored finish.

Its a first timer concreting job, most of it come out pretty good, but 2 or 3 of the sections have come out with some stones protuding up bit on the surface of the concrete and doesn't give it a real good look.

I believe i would have to clean the concrete down properly, would i use hydrolic acid straight or diluted before applying the bonding agent? then the slurry, but i am unsure of the proper mix for this type of job.
I read somewhere you have to have equal amounts of sand to cement, is this correct ?
I also read somwere that lime makes the mix a much stronger, is this correct ?
I think i have seen pre/ mixed mortar bags with lime already in it, but not to really sure though.

All i really want is just a very thing layer of slurry as i have placed some other colored pavers here and there amongst the job, so i can't make it very thick layer of motar as then the differant colored pavers would be to low then.
appreciate any good advise.
Thanks
bumping up

Last edited by Boofhead; 12-26-06 at 04:36 PM. Reason: bumping up
Old 12-25-06, 01:20 PM
B
sorry posted twice

Last edited by Boofhead; 12-25-06 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-31-06, 12:04 PM
B
if your going to put a slurry on top of the concrete dont use mortar for it it will crack off in no time, clean the concrete with watered down acid, hose off very good and let dry. you can buy pre mixed toping coat for concrete,(try to get the polymir modified type this has a bonding and sealing agent already mixed in with it) sometimes its with the tile in building sentres because its used to level up concrete surfaces before applying tile, but its perfect for your situation. trying to mix a topping coat yourself is just a waste of time you might end up with the same situation your in right now diffrent colours.

mix topping coat into a watery mix, let sit for 5 minutes to slack, before appliing maybe 30 minutes before applying wet down surface you downt want it soaked but you dont want it dry either just enough moisture so the topping coat dosnt dry out right away. if you want to add a colour you can do it to the slurry but make sure you are consistant with it. apply the coating with a parging trowel and let dry. when your applying it try to apply a lot of pressure to the first skim coat to get the slurry into the pores of the concrete then go over it again with next pass.

good luck

post results

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: