Removing 1/4" HARD concrete in a 2'x2' area on floor.

Old 12-24-06, 11:58 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing 1/4" HARD concrete in a 2'x2' area on floor.

I am laying tile in my bathroom and when they poured the floor they did not level it out around the where the toilet sits. I have some floor leveler compound, but it would be too much work to try and level out the entire floor to match the raised area around the toilet. So I am thinking of trying to chisel or grind about 1/4" out of the concrete around the toilet so that its even with the rest of the floor.

Also, I am a little worried about taking out that much conrete where the wax seal is, I'm thinking the toilet may not sit flush on the tiles if I take out that much concrete, any idea on that?

What would be the best way to go about removing this concrete? Chisel or Angle Grinder maybe? This concrete is 50+ years old, so it is extremely hard.

Thanks alot guys!

Old 12-24-06, 12:14 PM
P
Go to a tool rental yard and pick up a roto-hammer (Hilti makes a good one) with a bush hammer head. This head looks like one of those meat tenderizer hammers. It will take off as much or as little concrete as you need in a very short time. Take it down a little farther than you need it, then use the floor leveller to bring the area up to the level of the surrounding floor. Piece of cake.

Pecos

Old 12-26-06, 10:58 AM
K
Thanks a lot! They said I actually needed a Demo-Hammer, but you saved me a lot of time regardless!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: