Cinder Block Retaining wall help needed(Reface)

Old 01-02-07, 04:30 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone and Happy New Year..
Ok, I have a cinder block retaining wall in my backyard that looks very bad and was wondering what I should use to reface it. The wall is 60' long and 4 ' high and had a very thin layer of cement facing which is breaking off. I would like to put something on the face of the retaining wall before I reface and was wondering what I should put on it. Also I would like to know what would be good to face it with...

Old 01-02-07, 02:30 PM
I have the same problem in my back yard and nearly the same dimensions. I'm considering a complete coat of stucco, or a spray tex coat someday. You could clean it well, and add a new layer of stucco to even it out, but if there is bad adhesion of the original surfacing, it will eventually continue falling off. Mine is still raw cinder block which has never been stuccoed so I can eventually add something.

Old 01-03-07, 06:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
There is a fair chance that the back of the retaining wall was not sealed and drainage not provided. If that's the case, moisture will seep thru the wall causing paint and/or stucco to fail.

Maybe brick or stack stone might correct the problem, I don't know, but maybe one of the masons will chime in with better info.

Old 01-04-07, 06:42 AM
B
Follow-up

There are 4 drainage holes located accross the bottom of the retaining wall. But I still think there is moisture buildup

Old 01-04-07, 10:27 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

If you have a traditional reinforced concrete block retaining wall with some attempt at drainage of the soil behind it, there is little you can do to modify the the moisture conditions. The moisture conditions are causing the the "cement facing" from breaking off.

You probably have 3 options with varying life expectancies:

1. Remove all the existing loose facing and recoat with a cement-based coating. Some others on the forum are better equipped to provide details of what would work best.

2. Nail wire lath to the wall and apply a tradional stucco. The very small gap between the stucco and the wall will extend the life of the sticco over a product applied directly.

3. Rebuild the wall with segmental retaining wall block (split, colored units) that provide proper drainage through the backfill for a long life. As long as you are less than 4' high, you usually do not need any engineering.

These options are in increasing order of cost and difficulty, but all can be DIY projects.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: