partial foundation, rest on piers

Old 01-07-07, 06:00 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I'm seroiusly considering the purchase of a 24X28 1929 cottage style home here in Maine that has only a partial foundation. Imagine a 10X16 basement in the center core of this building that houses utilities, but the outer 4 foot perimeter sitting on concrete piers and exposed to the elements.

I plan to do much of the work myself and would like to live in the house year round. Short of hiring house movers to jack up the house and pour a new foundation, what can I do to winterize the 4 foot perimeter that sits on piers? I'm concerned about moisture from the ground, frozen forced hot water pipes and general draftyness. Keep in mind that the clearance between the ground and the bottom of the joists averages 8" so access is limited.

Should I simply lay some poly on the ground and then insulate the joist bays with styrofoam (rigid or spray)?

Is there a way to create a new perimeter without jacking and laying a new foundation?

Thanks for any advice out there.

Old 01-08-07, 01:26 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

If you thinking about laying a couple of courses of concrete block around the perimeter… don’t do it.
Any masonry would need to rest on a footing that is below the frost line in your location, (probably 42” below ground level) or when the ground freezes it will push the masonary up into your structure.

Since you have no clearance between the floor joists and the crawl space below I think you may need to work from the inside. Remove sections of the floor where your pipes are located and insulate them, than make some kind of a insulated skirt to the ground that matches your exterior siding all around the perimeter to block the wind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: