Winterizing Slab Foundation?

Old 01-09-07, 08:19 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Winterizing Slab Foundation?

I have a pleasure property that currently has a mobile home on it. I am investigating replacement options for the mobile home.

The property is located in northern PA, and is subject to freezing temperatures. When the weather turns cold, we will drain all water lines and dump washer fluid (antifreeze type) in the drains and toilet before leaving.

One possible option I am investigating is a home on a slab foundation. As I understand it, in a slab foundation the piping is run in the slab.

My question is will I still be able to easily winterize the home (drain pipes, apply antifreeze, etc) in a home with this type of foundation?

We turn off all electricity to the home when not in use, so there is zero heat when we are not there.

Would a crawlspace be a necessity?

Any possible shortfalls that can be pointed out would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-07, 08:05 PM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I've got a very limited reply to your wide-ranging questions.

Originally Posted by creiter
....Would a crawlspace be a necessity?.....
No. A foreclosed home right next door to a friend suddenly had a brightly colored notice on the front door. The notice warns that the plumbing has been winterized and not to drink any water. The home is on a slab.

Originally Posted by creiter
Any possible shortfalls that can be pointed out would be appreciated.
The warning sign is probably a good idea.

Old 01-18-07, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
If draining plumbing is going to be a regular occurance building the home on a raised foundation would be a better option.
It would be possible to have the water supply installed to be self draining by opening a couple of strategically placed taps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: