chimney Question PLEASE HELP!!!


  #1  
Old 01-09-07, 09:01 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
chimney Question PLEASE HELP!!!

ok this maybe a stupid question but im haveing a moisture problem in my attic crawl space i think is related to my chimney....ok its a block chimney that passes through the center of my house and the wall which contacts the chimney seems warm and in my crawl space(attic area) the plywood around the chimney is wet with condensation....my question is should the outside block of my chimney be warm to the touch?..or is there a problem i should have checked w/ my flue..it is warm enough to make the drywall that is about 2 inches away from it warm to the touch also... i beleive this is the cause of my moisture because the warm air in the chimney space is rising into the very small cold crawl space in the attic... hope i explained good enough please help
 
  #2  
Old 01-10-07, 03:35 AM
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,650
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
chimney Question PLEASE HELP!!!

What is the chimney used for? - Kind of furnace and efficiency?, Water heater?, Fireplace?

Waht is the chimney construction? - Clay tile liner?, Metal liner?, No liner?

Where are you located?

Dick?
 
  #3  
Old 01-10-07, 05:35 AM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
concrete block const....lined w/ taracota(spelling?) ....it is used for a wood stove.....i am in Northeast PA.....
 
  #4  
Old 01-12-07, 09:41 PM
W
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 83
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have you checked the flashing around the chimney? Also, is the flue cap in good condition?
 
  #5  
Old 01-12-07, 09:53 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes flashing is in good shape..friend just put roof on over summer ...new flashing ...chimney cap on top of chimney is new poured over old one ( old one seemed britle so while we were at it just poured some fresh concrete over the top and stuccoed the whole thing)flashing put on first then stuccoed over the top edge....put acrilic(spelling?) additive in stucco mix to make more waterproof....never had an issue with moisture till winter came and i started to burn wood....thought maybe since the chimney feels warm it is heating the air in the space and causing moisture to built up on the underside of the roof around it......what i really need i guess is a chimney inspection and maybe someone that deals with moisture problems like this ( might be hard to find someone in the area)
 
  #6  
Old 01-12-07, 10:05 PM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

...chimney cap on top of chimney is new poured over old one ( old one seemed britle so while we were at it just poured some fresh concrete over the top
You should have taken the old cap off then put a new on on. But I think what he ment is ,do you have a metal cap over the flue.
flashing put on first then stuccoed over the top edge...
After you have worked the step shingles in up and around the flue and have the cricket set in . You have to counter flash them not just put stucco down over the flashing
 
  #7  
Old 01-12-07, 10:24 PM
T
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
yes i have a metal chimney cap w/ a screen on the sides that slips over the flue if thats what you mean..it is removeable....as far as the flashing goes im not sure of the terms used to discribe the process.....the guy that did it is a profess. does it everyday im sure they did it the rightway....i know they used step flashing around it i believe it is called then i had a friend do the stucco after that was done to hide the flashing and tar because it was noticeable just didnt like the look of it....just nailed the metal screen used to hold it in place over the whole chimney and he went at it....but i dont think it has anything to do w/ flashing or the roof it self....it is def a problem with warm air in the space that is making the problem...2 reasons why i feel this way...1 was good all summer long and we had some bad rain storms lots of flooding..2 no matter what right now rain or shine i still get moisture it just depends mostly on the temp outside .....i just figured i was haveing a problem w/ the chimney b/c there is no air getting in there from the inside house... and everything i read about moisture build up points to warm air condensing in the attic space .....and the wall which the chimney is behind seems warm to the touch when i burn so that would be my warm air in the space but i dunno if the chimney should be warm or not..the block has to be between 95f and 125f b/c it warms the drywall which is 2inches away ....i hope this make somekind of sense...thank you guys for all your input
 
  #8  
Old 01-13-07, 04:37 AM
B
Member
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 353
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Talking

I'm not sure if the following scenario applies to your case or not. Incidentally, I will assume you are talking about an attic area even though you seem to use the term crawl space. To me, a crawl space would be beneath the floor joists in the space created within a block foundation (but not a basement).

Anyway, you did mention that you are burning wood and that the chimney is of block. With the newer wood stoves and competiveness by manufacturers to burn the least amount of wood, air tight stove construction can provide very high levels of control to air supplys.. As an unfortunate result, some home owners have purchased these air tight stoves and dampered the air venting (to fire) down way to low. On top of that they burn green wood that has not been seasoned enough and contains too much moisture. Venting of the air tight wood stove than goes into a cold flue liner (dry stacked or poorly grouted joints) and is housed by a porous weigh lite cement chimney block.

So, here is this wood fire of green logs, low air drafted and practically smoldering instead of hot coal fired ends up emitting a steady supply of heavy wet smoke being vented by what is comparatively a cold porous concrete block chimney. Anyway the end result is the chimney ends up with a layer of wet creosote dripping down the liners and bleeding out poorly sealed liner joints and through the porous block.

Over the years, those of us who have burned wood for heat know what I am talking about especially when the chimneys were block and were located on the exterior of the dwelling and therefore cold. Incidentally, this wet liquid eventually turns into chimney creosote which can ignite and cause a very hot and intensive chimney fire which in turn causes a house fire.

So,this can serve as another source of moisture leaks and chimney issues. Rereading your situation makes me realize this may not be the problem here but it can be a source of a problem for a chimney leak for otheres to be aware of.
 

Last edited by bullshooter5; 01-13-07 at 04:51 AM. Reason: had been mistakenly submitted too soon
  #9  
Old 01-13-07, 08:26 AM
Ed Imeduc's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Mountain Williams Missouri
Posts: 17,505
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Might want to check the tile liner there in the flue to see that it is ok all the way down to the wood burner.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: