Builder used wire brush..... Sigh!

Old 01-11-07, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Builder used wire brush..... Sigh!

Just moved into our new home, shortly before closing they had painted the trim on the exterior and then it rained... result was a white streak down the brick work! Finally came around today to clean it up and it turns out they must have used a wire brush or something similar.

My nice berrywood brick is now a faded shade of orange (6ft x 2ft section)!! which looks terrible.

I will be going back to my builder tomorrow as had I been here today, I would have stopped them from using the wirebrush!

Anything I can do to rectify the problem?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-07, 07:49 PM
Is it rust? Maybe use CLR on it? Maybe you could have it sand or bead blasted to take off a thin outer layer?

Old 01-11-07, 08:05 PM
when you say rust you mean from the wirebrush?
Ok I will try CLR.
To be honest I am really disappointed with the brickwork, the motar in places differs in color and they managed to get motar everywhere on the brick. I had stressed that I wanted this cleaned up and they did visit once and used a brick of the same color and a bucket of water. Trouble is they only did what was at arms length.

I am still fighting with my builder to have them sort it out.
Trouble is everytime they come over to sort something out, they end up making it worse.... its starting to really get me down so anything I can learn and do myself I am game!

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-11-07, 08:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The color from the brick is not gone if that's what you are worried about. The "color" of the brick cannot be altered since it's manufactured like this. Thats the awesome thing about brick, they will never faid or change color.

I would keep hassling the contractor. You didn't pay all that money to have this mess.

If you have access to a pressure washer, try that....as long as the mortar and everything is cured.

Old 01-11-07, 09:00 PM
nap
Originally Posted by andrewe77 View Post
Is it rust? Maybe use CLR on it? Maybe you could have it sand or bead blasted to take off a thin outer layer?
NO! Never sandblast brick. It will damage the brick.

Old 01-12-07, 05:01 AM
I've had a similar experience with something getting on new brick. This brick had a sandy surface finish that was not the color of the rest of the brick. This finish was on one face of the brick and the two ends, so it would show on the outside when it was laid up. I assume they do it this way to save on cost, instead of coating the entire brick in this sandy substance. I'll call the stuff a powder coat, although I'm sure there's a proper name for it.
Anyway, to get the dark stains off the light colored brick, we had to get aggressive. We tried CLR, a light muriatic acid wash, and finally resorted to the wire brushes. It ended up taking a lot of the powder coat off the brick, exposing the terra cotta color underneath. Does this sound similar to what you are describing? A wire brush would have definitely taken off the powder coat. If that's the case, the finish would have to be re-applied somehow, or the brick would have to be replaced.
Being a decorative concrete guy and an artist of sorts, I was able to apply some products we use in decorative concrete work to mask the bad areas. The homeowner and builder were satisfied, but I would never want to go through this again. It's been about 5 years ago and I've heard nothing else about it, so it must have worked OK.
The brick guys here may be able to weigh in on this. They could give better advice I'm sure.

Pecos

Old 01-12-07, 05:03 PM
You have several issues and concerns here, but first of all, NEVER POWERWASH BRICK OR USE MURIATIC ACID!!

You will void any manufacturors warranty if you do, not that this is their problem to begin with.

If it is a sand finish brick, you can alter the appearance by wire brushing. If it is not sand finish, the only way you can harm the brick is by using an innappropriate cleaner (like muiatic acid) or causing efflorecance by powerwashing. There are cleaners on the market to remove mortar droppings, contact the brick manufacturer to find the recommended one for your specific brick.

As for the different mortar colors, if there was no color added to your mortar, the color will even out as it cures. If there was mortar color added, then there could be an issue with proper mortar mixing. Regardless, most of the difference will go away within a year unless it is a very poor job.

It sounds to me like the painter (I assume) wire brushed a section to remove the paint. A solution may be to expand the area and feather it into the surrounding brick.

Old 06-27-09, 04:38 PM
Red face Wire brushed - now discolored - exterior brick

Originally Posted by Pecos View Post
A wire brush would have definitely taken off the powder coat. If that's the case, the finish would have to be re-applied somehow, or the brick would have to be replaced.
Being a decorative concrete guy and an artist of sorts, I was able to apply some products we use in decorative concrete work to mask the bad areas.

Pecos
I too wire brushed my exterior brick to get mold off the mortar and brick from years of growth on the north side of the house.
I didn't realize that the color wasn't the same throughout the brick. Now the bricks I brushed are all pale and look terrible.
What decorative concrete products worked on the brick to mask the damage?

Old 06-28-09, 03:30 AM
It was dry shake color hardener in a color to match the sand finish. A local contractor's supply may carry it, but you will certainly not find it at a home center. It's a specialty item used in concrete stamping. good luck.

Old 06-28-09, 05:33 AM
You mention "sand" finish. Could it possibly match red brick?

Old 06-28-09, 06:15 AM
Yes, it comes in just about any color. You can do a google search for "color hardener" and "concrete" and probably come up with 20 different manufacturers and their color charts. They will probably have links to suppliers in your area.

Old 06-28-09, 06:41 AM
Thank you.
I'll post how it works out (if I do it). I'm also going to ask a brick layer about it.