Using old concrete block for addition

Old 01-17-07, 09:35 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I own a concrete block home and am planning an addition. I have an old block building on my property, and I wanted to know if I should use this for free material to build the addition. How difficult would it be for me to tear it down myself and prepare the blocks for the new construction? Is the labor on block construction more expensive than frame construction. I also have a source for cheap/free used pressure treated lumber (6x6 beams, 2x8s, 2x4s and 2x12s). Thank you.

Old 01-17-07, 09:53 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I would forget about trying to tear down a building just to get free block for a home addition. If you want to build with block, just buy them - you will be money ahead in the end..

You can use the pressured treated for areas where treated limber is required. If it is the old CCA treated, I would NOT bother with it for ANY application. There is a reason it is not available now. If it is the newer ACQ, you can use it where required in moist areas and in contact with the soil if it is rated for that. Use the special nails and fasteners to avoid corrosion.

I definitely would not build a home addition out of pressure treated lumber if I was going to live in it. I would use the proper type of untreated lumber for a home addition.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: