Contractors having trouble setting stone veneer. Help

Old 01-24-07, 03:14 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Contractors having trouble setting stone veneer. Help

So far I have done this whole project DIY, and I got contractors to do the finish work of setting cultured stone onto a prepped scratch coat. They did not mix their mortar well as far as I can tell, and it was so dry that 1/4 of the stone did not adhere well and has fallen off. They plan to re-set the fallen pieces with a thinset mix and continue the rest of the job. I am so far not satisfied with the results...

suggestions?

(here is why we DIY)

Old 01-24-07, 07:52 PM
T
I bet they had the lowest price, though, didn't they?

Old 01-24-07, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
And references checked?

You always here this on the forum anyone thinks of hiring a contractor.

Dick

Old 01-26-07, 03:23 PM
H
Cool

they have since resolved the problem and are doing an OKAY job, but boy am I unimpressed with "the pros". In the end I'm more or less happy with the job, but I have now refined my entire approach to dealing with contractors. The only thing better than me doing it myself so far has been the speed of the job. But as I witnessed the first day maybe it was a bit too speedy and lacked a little attention to detail.

From about 3 feet away it looks fine, but if you really look into the detail work, they did a hasty job. Pretty lame. I tend to be over critical and detail oriented and I get just as annoyed at myself for cutting corners which can happen sometimes.

Old 01-26-07, 05:10 PM
T
One thing you have to remember about the "pros" is that they are doing production work. It may look bad to you and me (and I see a lot of
work that is in service, that I would not accept either as my work, or on my house), but the reality is that on certain things, "good enough" is certainly good enough. Visitors to your home, and future buyers, will never notice or care about the imperfections (that I think), you are talking about.

My credo is that I expect perfection, but I do not demand it of others.

Old 01-29-07, 11:42 AM
H
yeah, I guess you are right on that one. Another idea that dawned on me was that these guys are used to doing , slab work, garage pads, steps, sidewalks etc. I think they are more used to having a truck come in with the mix all dialed in and they just do the form work and float it all out etc.

Still I don't think this excuses them from doing a worse job mixing ratios of thinset and mortar by hand than I did when I did my retaining walls by myself..... go figure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: