Limestone is peeling off in chunks after storm?

Old 01-25-07, 09:33 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Limestone is peeling off in chunks after storm?

I've never experienced this before, maybe you can help. I live in Central Texas and have a 1.5 yr old limestone house. After we thawed out from the freeze last week, the north side of my house looks like its shedding in chunks. All along the baseline of the house are pieces of limestone. Some are thin and others are big chunks larger than my hand lining the entire baseline of the north side. I looked up ice erosion and limestone & found that limestone is porous water gets in. when the precipitation freezes the limestone swells & when it thaws breaking (ice erosion) is what can happen. Have any of you heard of this and do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Never2Late

Old 01-26-07, 03:59 AM
P
Is your home made of real limestone, or cultured limestone? I see more and more cultured limestone used around here due to cost. It is just a dry-cast concrete usually using white cement and brown sand. It looks and feels incredibly like real limestone, but from what I've seen, it seems to deteriorate quicker. I toured a local plant a couple of years ago and was amazed by what they could do. Maybe yours is man-made?

Pecos

Old 01-26-07, 06:00 AM
T
No, it is real. The stone they use around here is very "fresh" and "young", which is usually not a problem. The recent ice storm, however, probably did cause some erosion on the northern side of a lot of homes in Central Texas. You can use a sealer like Prime-A-Pell to prevent it.

By young, I mean geological age and by fresh recently quarried. It will harden as it ages in the wall, but is like chalk when fresh.

Old 01-26-07, 06:45 PM
N
Limestone

Thanks so much. I'll look into it. We are supposed to get another freeze next week.

Old 01-26-07, 06:52 PM
N
Limestone

Gosh, I guess I'll have to check. I just assumed all the houses built here are actual limestone. I know they quarry it here in Round Rock. I'll have to check on that. Thanks

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-26-07 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Quote removed. No need to quote entire post to reply.
Old 01-26-07, 09:06 PM
T
Cultured stone is almost twice the cost of real limestone in Central Texas, FYI.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: