cracked block walls in basement

Old 01-28-07, 10:47 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

The house is 36 yrs old.There is a crack from top of the block wall that is about a 1/16 of an inch wide in some places that tapers off to hairline status extending to the floor.There is no shifting of the wall noticed.Should I be concerned? I noticed it before,but never paid to big attention to it.It seems larger than before but I wonder if it is because of winter.It is in an area below and to the side of a leaky front porch.How do I determine if it is active? What methods are used to fix active and non-active cracks?Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-28-07, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

That sounds like a very minor inactive crack.

Because of the age of the wall any changes may be due to exterior changes in conditions.

Since you recognize an exterior problem, take care of that and any other exterior drainage problems (slope, downspout extensions).

If you feel you have to do something with the crack. use a quality caulk designed for concrete.

I once lived in a very old house with a crack that I could see light through above ground level. The wall never leaked, so it was never repaired, since there were always more important things.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: