anchor bolts

Old 01-31-07, 04:16 AM
anchor bolts

when pouring a foundation, how often should you put an anchor bolt for the walls being built on it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-07, 12:59 PM
i usually put them every 16 inches offst from where your studs are going to be measure from the inside of your foundation 8 inches and put the first one and then every 16 inces from there make sure you keep in mind any doors or openings in ffoundation and place a bolt 8 inces away from every opening thats what i do sometime you can put one in every corner too and notch around it with your studs too but i dont think its necessary

Old 02-03-07, 01:25 PM
anchor bolts

Anchor bolts at 16" on center is a little excessive for most areas. Your wood frame structure above could not even handle close to the amount of uplift or shear that kind of bolts spacing will give you.

Check with your local code office to find out what is required for your location. Some areas require more because of local conditions (hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.). No sense in putting in more than necessary. Last I checked, even the code amount was a little more than you really need from a structural standpoint. - I gues the codes put in a factor for bolts that not are long enough or don't have nuts on them.

Dick