Complimentary exterior material to brick?

Old 01-31-07, 01:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

We are planning an addition to the back of our brick ranch.

We'd like to find something cheaper than brick, especially since we wouldn't be able to match our brick anyway.

Are there any other building materials that might look nice for the addition?

We aren't interested in something that stands out like white siding.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-07, 02:35 PM

Much will depend on the style of your home.

Once you eliminate siding, there are not to many choices.

Traditional stucco is one proven possiblity. Depending where you are, EIFS (systetic stucco) may not be allowed on wood frame construction.

Cultured stone is another, but it may be more expensive.

Brick veneer is always popular. With proper planning and details it can be quite economical. In some markets, the price of brick is very low because of the amount used and is even used on low cost homes. With attention to design, a complimentary brick may be possible.

I am sure there will be other suggestions.

Dick

Old 01-31-07, 05:19 PM
Cementious stucco is my favorite, although if it were mine I would do something to tie it to the existing structure. As an example, I would take the brick that were removed for the addition, slice the face off of them and use them as a watertable band, and also around the windows for trim.

Another alternative would be to use a complementary brick color and reuse the demo'd brick as trim (watertable and window trim) to tie the 2 together.

Regardless, you should be able to find a brick that is close enough to pass, so long as any point of contact between the new and old is at a right angle.

Old 02-01-07, 05:29 AM
Adding brick in some way, as indicated, to the addition as an architectural element would tie it to the original structure. A key to a successful addition is one that looks like it is part of the original structure and was there all along.

Old 02-01-07, 08:10 AM
Just to clarify, we're more concerned about how to save money than how to have a perfect look. I looked up some pricing in a contractor pricing book and it said avg cost for brick was $12 sq ft. Avg cost for siding is half of that and panel solutions were $4 sq ft. I'm not sure if they mean something like T-11 for panels that cheap.

Is the stucco solution cheaper than brick? If it's not really cheaper I don't know if it's worth changing to it.

I'm also seeing a lot of shakes on the exterior of upper end homes that also use brick. Are the shakes being used for cosmetic purposes, or because it's cheaper than using all brick.

Old 02-01-07, 08:49 AM
Don't know how accurate the following estimator is. Keep in mind that prices vary from area to area and among retailers. Also keep in mind care and maintenance issues.

http://www.siding4u.com/vinyl-siding-cost-calculator.php

Old 02-12-07, 10:12 PM
If price is the deciding factor and it is on the back of the house vinyl siding is not the worst alternative, especially if you can swing the salvaged brick water table as suggested earlier to tie it into the existing. It doesn't have to be white - If you have red brick there are some nice clay or stone colors that will compliment the brick. I have also seen some descent jobs done with board and batten systems using hardi-panel. This would be inexpensive and durable. Cedar shakes are pricey mostly due to labor but I used a cedar shake panel that comes in 8' x 2' pieces by a company called Shakertown - don't know if they are still making them but they are easier to install and would cost somewhere between vinyl and brick.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-21-07, 12:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I created the Vinyl Siding Cost Calculator - Here's Why:

Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Don't know how accurate the following estimator is. Keep in mind that prices vary from area to area and among retailers. Also keep in mind care and maintenance issues.

http://www.siding4u.com/vinyl-siding...calculator.php
Hello all,

In doing my normal website research I stumbled upon this thread. Great site by the way.

I am the actual creator of the Vinyl Siding Cost Calculator.

MY BACKGROUND: I am an ex-contractor turned consumer advocate (actually I've always been pro consumer.) I've got 19 years experience in the Siding and Window industry (started in 1988 as a siding job site grunt.)

My intent for the Vinyl Siding Cost Calculator was to empower homeowners and help to clean up the Vinyl Siding Industry (a bit.)

The Purpose of this Siding Calculator is to lift the veil on siding prices and empower homeowners with ballpark siding price information. So, when homeowners receive their estimate requests (specifically for their home) they will know whether that contractor is in the ballpark or not. If that contractor isn't, it's time to start asking some serious questions as to why that is. An ethical contractor will easily be able to justify their price.

Also, the calculator shows how typically small the price increase is between Vinyl, Fiber Cement & Cedar Siding.

When I was still contracting, I created a bid system from scratch using only Excel (which I maxed out ), a PDA and a mobile office. I measured down to the fraction of an inch and I could instantly give an endless amount of quotes on-the-spot. I only mention this to illustrate that I am a detail orientated person (I went to college to be an Engineer but left after 2.5 years to start my siding company) and I take job site estimates very seriously.

Having said all of that (hope you aren't too bored) the calculator is to establish a common ground ballpark idea. Nothing will replace actual contractor estimates because every home is different. But is does give homeowners a starting ground.

I hope that sheds a little light on the vinyl siding cost calculator.

You can expect more of the same from me and my team - we've got some really exciting stuff in the works. Keep an eye on Siding4u.com for new Siding Consumer Advocacy & Utilities.

If you have an questions, comments or concerns - please go to Siding4u.com/contact-us.php - just put "ATTN: Robert Bury" in the message and it will be forwarded to me. Also, please mention that you came from DoItYourself.com. I try to make myself available to homeowners and contractors as much as possible... because that is who I am trying to help.

Reply to type of siding that is complementary with brick - I have seen and used virtually all types of siding in conjunction with brick... I believe they can all look great. Really it just boils down to preference IMO. Although too many styles on one home can be a tricky endeavor but I have seen it pulled off nicely. With most options you should only be looking at a price difference in the 100's and my suggestion is to chiefly base your decision on which siding type YOU like the most... you are the one who has to look at it for all the years to come (not someone else.)

Last edited by Siding4uFounder; 09-21-07 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Figured I should remove the email address and add a less spammy option.