Foundation in crawl drips outside is a sump pit

Old 02-09-07, 04:20 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Foundation in crawl drips outside is a sump pit

This was posted in Roofing/Waterproofing, but not replies, so I'm trying here.......
We have a french drain on the outside of our house that leads to a cement pit with a sump pump in that pit (all on the outside of the house). The house has a 18"-2' crawlspace and when we went under the house, exactly where the sump pit is on the other side of the foundation, the crawlspace soil is very moist (no standing water at all) and if you watch the cement foundation inside the crawl you can see a drip, drip, drip through the cement foundation - the direct otherside of the wall is the cement sump pit. The sump is in working order. In the crawl the dampness started right there and is spreading and spreading 10' x 4' as the rains continues. All downspouts are diverted to the street. Is there something wrong with the sump pit? or should we just coat the foundation under the crawl with something? The house is 38 years old and always seems to have damp soil under the crawl space in winter and dries in the summer. Before the rains we had a structural engineer tell us that our sill plates and floor boards are in top notch condition for the age of the house and no mold, but there is some efflorescence.

Old 02-10-07, 06:19 PM
A
Question Should I waterproof the sump pit?

It is a cement sump pit, with a pump pump in it that when the water rises it kicks out the water through 1-1/2"PVC water comes in the pit from 3" french drain. Should this cement pit be coated with hydralic cement to waterproof the pit?

Old 02-11-07, 07:49 AM
C
It seems to me that keeping the water from under the house would be a result of keeping it in the pit until it can be pumped out. I would look for a solution that includes an impermeable liner for the pit or sealing the interior of the pit.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-11-07, 08:49 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You need to cover the ground with 6mil poly!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: