chimney water damage?

Old 02-11-07, 01:39 PM
ekih
Visiting Guest
chimney water damage?

At the base of my chimney the bricks are getting soft. They are flaking apart. Is this caused by water sitting inside and making the bricks soft?
The cap that fits over the top of the chimney is missing for a couple of years now. I haven't fixed it for no good reason.
If this is what causing the bricks to deteriorate is there a way to find out the extent of damage and is there a way to fix it?

Old 02-11-07, 01:57 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/waterdamagechimney

Old 02-11-07, 05:52 PM
ekih
Visiting Guest
base repair

I looked at the link but I don't see anything about repairing the base of the chimney.

Old 02-11-07, 06:04 PM
T
The base of your chimney is the symptom. Fix the cause of the problem, then worry about repairing the damage.

Old 02-11-07, 08:36 PM
ekih
Visiting Guest
fixing the problem

Alright I will fix the problem first.
But what about repairing the damage, how would I go about that? How do I know how much damage has been done?

Old 02-12-07, 12:03 AM
K
The bricks and mortar will be rotten just the same all through, if moisture came from inside.

I hate to say this, but I think you should call a chimney person to look at this. It's best judged by somebody with experience who can see the bricks and pick at them.

Then when you know what -if any- repair is needed, you can probably do it yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: