First stamped concrete quote, how is it?

Old 02-12-07, 10:43 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Looking into getting a stamped concrete patio (to replace the current deck that needs to be refinished). Got our first quote today, this is what it includes:

Excavation and forming of the install area
4" base of 3/4" gravel
4" of 3500 psi concrete
Reinforcement with fiber and mesh wire
Expansion cuts of concrete

Any choice of stamp and color (within reason on the color.....they said some of the colors take a lot of pigment, if we chose one of them we'd have to work with them on cost).

They quoted $10.50/sq ft, total of ~$7K for the patio and walkway.

Opinions?

Its actually cheaper than I thought it would be (located in CT), and probably less than materials only on rebuilding the deck with composite.

Thanks!
-Chris

Old 02-12-07, 12:18 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Every area has different costs for labor and materials.

You should get several additional quotes to determine how reasonable the price is. Make sure you get references (jobs at least 3 years old) so you can't check on the quality and service. Do not split hairs on the cost.

Price means nothing if you don't get a durable, attractive patio.

Dick

Old 02-12-07, 12:27 PM
C
Yeah Im waiting on a couple other quotes right now. The quote I posted was actually the guys that did a walkway next door to my house (2 years ago) and someone I work with got their patio done by the same people (6 years ago). The walkway color faded a little, I assume this is probably normal (then again they dont pressure wash it either, so the color is probably still under there somewhere).

I was actually more interested in if it seemed they were doing things correctly (I know Ive seen mesh/fiber reinforced concrete mentioned a lot, how much psi the concrete should be, etc).

-Chris

Old 02-12-07, 12:56 PM
P
I do stamped concrete for a living and that seems like a very fair price. Definitely go with someone you trust and whose work you have seen. Do NOT necessarily go with the lowest price. In this biz especially, you get what you pay for. look at jobs that have been down for a few years, not the last one they did.
Has your neighbor whose concrete has faded been keeping it sealed? When the sealer weathers it looks like the color is fading, but it's not.

Pecos

Old 02-12-07, 01:04 PM
C
Ill have to ask my neighbor about their walkway. I dont remember seeing him doing anything with it, but that doesnt mean he didnt touch it.

The guys were nice, at least. One quote barely even spoke to me, these guys talked about what they do, how they do it, etc. and even remembered that they did our nextdoor neighbors walkway and went over to take a look at it.

-Chris

Old 02-18-07, 10:23 PM
That price per sq ft is very reasonable, at least in my area. That is on the low end of what we charge if the stamp pattern is one of the simple skin textures. If they do good work, that is a good price.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: