Patio- Paver, concrete or stamped?

Old 02-14-07, 04:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Patio- Paver, concrete or stamped?

I need to install a patio under my deck. The area is about 800 sqft. Than I'll have some steps (about 12) leading up to a small patio landing (80 sqft).

My wife wants stamped concrete... I'm leaning toward brushed (to save money).
Are there any pros/cons to help me choose.
Since the majority is under a deck, I'm leaning to brushed concrete.

I'm also considering Pavers because I can do it myself; although it would be a big job.
I have already done the majority of the prep work (crushed base, graded, etc)

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Old 02-14-07, 05:06 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
99tj -

Pavers would be the cheapest in terms of "out of pocket expenses". Since you have done much of the prep work on the patio and your labor is "free", your additional investment will be the sand setting bed (1" of masons sand), concrete pavers, plastic edge restraints and rental of a plate vibrator. You can pace yourself on the installation. - 800 sf is not that bad since it is not like concrete and does not have to bee done at once.

The steps could be a different story. - Are you planning on wood, concrete or retaining wall units?

The smal patio should not be a problem since it can be done at any time if it is pavers. If you go concrete, both should be done at the same time.

I assume the deck is at the rear and below the front level. Both concrete and paver will have to be moved to the rear. Concrete will need more access or an upcharge for pumping. Pavers could be moved as needed,

One way you will use your labor, the other way you pay for a contractor's labor. - Of course you could also have a contractor install the pavers.

Good luck!!

Dick

Old 02-16-07, 07:29 AM
P
If price is your main concern, brushed concrete will probably be less than 1/2 the cost of stamped concrete. If looks are your criteria, stamped or pavers would be the way to go.

Old 02-18-07, 10:16 PM
If it was my patio and it was going to see a lot of entertaining and gatherings, it would be stamped.

Broomed is a very utilitarian look but can look nice if the designed is good. Pavers are nice as well but don't look at good as stamped and after a few years you will have moss issues where as stamped just requires a yearly pressure washing and resealing.

Old 03-16-07, 08:55 AM
S
pavers vs stamped???

I'm sorry, but with pavers, you don't get that industrial look of expansions joints running thru the design, and I've seen more stamped jobs crack and buckle than paver jobs. pavers are engineered to work with frost and heave, and if the prep is done correctly, frost & heave won't even be an issue. And moss will only grow on pavers if they are in shade constantly, just like cement does, but if it is pitched correctly so water can drain quickly enough and not puddle, you have a better chance of keeping it clean of moss. Stamped concrete is sold usually against pavers, and is usually cheaper than pavers in labor/cost-I've been up against stamped many times -But I tell everyone asking to actually look at other stamped jobs, to get references that are 2-3 years old. not brand new jobs done last month-I have seen stamped asphalt, which looks great compared to regular asphalt-but with pavers the sky is the limit with style, similiar to tile, there are many options available these days-
I know many masons who are upset with pavers and unskilled labor chipping away at their business of masonary patios, driveways and walkways, and I can feel for them. Masons skill and perfection is a old world craft, timeless almost but as in other industries at times, new technology creates voids in older jobs. Think of people who use to set type for newspapers, use to be done by hand, then new technology came along and words could be set in galleys or complete columns. Now, everything in print is almost set without plates even, straight from the pc to print.
I think there will always be a need for good concrete work or masonary work. there is nothing like a beautiful brick mason wall or a wonderfully laid stone /marble/granite kitchen or entranceway. I wouldn't want a paver contractor laying a foundation for my house-sorry for lengthy post, got my jersey up a bit-

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: