Blacktop Driveway Questions

Old 02-15-07, 07:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blacktop Driveway Questions

I'm thinking of having my crushed rock driveway redone as blacktop.

What should I be asking contractor's with regards to base thickness, thickness of blacktop, material, etc?

I have about 600 ft of driveway (10 ft wide). Is there a rule of thumb useful for what to expect for a price?

I have friends who just went to the cheapest bidders and wound up with problems.

Joe

Old 02-15-07, 07:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I'm not an asphalt expert by any means but from what I've seen around here the 2 most important things are having a good base [your gravel may or may not be sufficent] and applying a thick enough coat of asphalt. I have seen driveways fail around here where the asphalt was only 1" thick

Clay soils around here are usually replaced with 6-8" of slate rock, leveled with gravel and then black topped.

I don't know if it is common place for them to offer a warranty or not but I'd sure ask! Wouldn't hurt to see some of their previous work and talk to their customers.

Old 02-15-07, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A typical asphalt driveway should consist of a 1.5" wearing course of asphalt over a 2.5" - 3" binder course of asphalt on 2" of 2A Limestone over a 6" base of AASHTO #57 crushed limestone. The subgrade should be compacted before placement of materials. I paid $20 a square yard about 8 years ago so it might be up around $24-$26 now.

Old 02-16-07, 06:11 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scilipoti
I'm thinking of having my crushed rock driveway redone as blacktop.

What should I be asking contractor's with regards to base thickness, thickness of blacktop, material, etc?

I have about 600 ft of driveway (10 ft wide). Is there a rule of thumb useful for what to expect for a price?

I have friends who just went to the cheapest bidders and wound up with problems.

Joe
Last quote I got was $1800 for 15' x 100'
That was for 3" thickness and all prep work (grading, rock base, etc).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: