Mobile HOme Leveling

Old 02-17-07, 03:36 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mobile HOme Leveling

I have been in my mobile home for almost a year. I live in Northern Illinois and it has been extremely cold and lots of snow lately. I noticed my under pinning buckling and my son said it looks like the mobile home is lower in the front. The mobile home has been on this lot for a long time. Do the mobile homes shift alot in the winter? How much does it cost to level the mobile home? Probably something that should be done in the spring..Is this an every year thing for mobile homes?? I am very new to this as you can tell.
My door will not open all the way because my deck is a little bit higher than my door now. Is this something that should be done right away?

Old 02-17-07, 04:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 863 Upvotes on 755 Posts
I don't know much about how the colder climates affect MH leveling. The deeper and wider the pier footers/base is the less it should be affected by freeze/thaw. It is possible for a MH to need releveling but at least in the S.E. it isn't a regular occurance.

MH leveling isn't rocket science - basically you use a heavy duty hydrualic bottle jack supported on timbers to raise or lower the frame. A 'string' water level is the best to use but I've leveled MHs just using a regular 2' or 4' level. You can set the level on the frame although leveling the floor itself is a little more accurate. The main thing is to work SAFE. Only raise or lower sections in small amounts, this may mean going back and forth, raising/lowering piers more than once.

I don't know what the charge is for leveling and it would vary both by MH location and differing labor prices. Most anyone in the yellow pages that moves MHs will also level them. They may give you an unoffical quote over the phone.

btw - welcome to the diy forums

Old 02-18-07, 03:57 AM
C
Smile Thank you Marksr for your reply

Thank you Marksr...I'm sure my son can help me out with that...I appreciate your reply..and thanks for welcoming me...I love this website...

Old 02-18-07, 02:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
By mentioning the word "mobile home", you invite people to charge you big dollars for anything and everything. Skirting can take pros just a couple hours and can cost $1000. Or having a styrofoam product put on the roof and then the white rubber roof ontop of that can cost $2-3000 by me, and 2 guys can do it like in 4 hours! Figure out what some of these guys are making, once!

Old 02-18-07, 02:35 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
FWIW, all homes settle, the difference is that mobile homes are the easiest to re-level. Get some estimates from places the do mobile homes, it won't take them more than a few hours.

Like the Doctor says, it's not the $5 screw, it's knowing how to put it in that costs so much.

Old 02-18-07, 06:12 PM
C
Wink Thank You

Thank you all very much. Appreciate your reply's. I will get the leveling done as soon as we don't have anymore frost around here....Its suppose to get warmer next week. All the way to 30! Heat Wave!

Old 02-21-07, 08:48 PM
C
Smile I found out yesterday about the leveling

Well I found out what was wrong with my mobile home..The foundation underneath is cracked..I guess thats the parks responsility...I told them about it...so hopefully they will fix it soon...I think its from my next door neighbor that had a main water break which the park didn't fix for weeks and all that wet got under my mobile home..(they had gotten evicted and nobody lived there for months). .thats what the repair man think what happened...well i'll let you all know when the park fixes it...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: