Bricks at side of house caving in

Old 03-11-07, 08:15 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Bricks at side of house caving in

The previous owner put very nice looking pinkish coloured bricks along each side of the house. There is now a problem on one side of the house. The bricks right next to the house, and going away from the house four bricks wide, are caving into the ground. They are at their worst where the gas meter is. For a while, and I don't know how long, the gutter was plugged with leaves and water ran over the side of the gutter. Did that cause the problem? I know there are supposed to be weeping tiles installed as well. In the basement of that side of the house there are water stains on the baseboards that look like they came from behind the baseboards. I never saw any water on the floor. There is also one area where drywall is on the walls and on the floor below this drywall there is white stuff like something came from behind the drywall but the drywall looks ok. What's happening?

Thanks in advance.

Linda

Old 03-11-07, 10:33 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bricks at side of house caving in

The gutter and poor drainage are probably the cause of water getting into your basement.

Look to see if you have any kind of a footing under the brick.

You should make sure you have a long extension (8'minimum) for your downspout. Fill any low areas and make sure water drains away from the house.

You should either clean your gutters more often or get some type of guard that prevents leaves from accumulating.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: