Painting after Pressure Washing

Old 03-16-07, 04:49 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Painting after Pressure Washing

My house will be pressure cleaned on a Saturday. Barring any rainfall, when should I be able to paint it?

Old 03-16-07, 06:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 839 Upvotes on 736 Posts
3 days is a good rule of thumb but there are many factors involved.

What type of surface is being pressure washed? Does it get a lot of sun?wind? Are there bushes, trees that will slow down the drying time?

There are conditions where it is fine to paint the next day and others that need a better part of a week.

Old 03-16-07, 01:55 PM
M
AAuugghhh!!!

It's stucco. In Florida. Hasn't rained here at all until today. So the house is dry. Probably won't until after the pressure washing.
House is mostly open to wind and direct sun on the south side. A couple of small bushes close to the side of the house. Not many and far apart. I'm hoping to pressure clean on Sat and start priming on Mon.

Old 03-16-07, 04:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
After the house has dried from washing, check the old paint for chalkiness. If color sticks to your finger after rubbing it across the stucco [be carefull] it means the paint has degraded and either needs a masonary binder sprayed on it or emulsa bond added to the first coat of paint/primer. You may need to spray or brush on a bleach solution to kill/remove mildew.

Masonary paint is usually a lower grade of paint. I've had better luck using a quality latex house paint - cost more but last longer. As always your local paint store [not dept] is the best place to buy paint.

Old 03-16-07, 04:32 PM
M
Thanks,
I'll check for chalky paint. I plan to get my primer and paint from Sherwin Williams. Looking at their Primer and then their SuperPaint. Does that sound ok?

Old 03-16-07, 04:39 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Super Paint is a great choice! They also have emulsa bond in stock if you need to add it to your primer. There is also a clear oil base primer for extra chalky surfaces but the name escapes me. If stucco has been well painted and in decent shape a primer won't be needed but chalk must be dealt with to insure adhesion of the fresh paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: