create interior cement textured wall

Old 03-19-07, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'm from Brazil.Sorry for my poor English but this is one way to improve it.

This is my first time at an Internet forum (and 've started in English).

Please I would like to do a faux finish in a wall at my kitchen.My intention is to make a cement/concrete imitation like a bridge concrte pillar for example,I want to make something like this color. A wall with a cement color but only at surface.

If somene know a recipe please tell me.I've been looking for here in Brazil at many places without success.

Thanks a lot

Last edited by Eu from Brazil; 03-19-07 at 03:58 PM. Reason: wrong words
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-07, 11:18 AM
just to clarify: you're wanting to do one wall to look like it's solid cement? or concrete block? just a gray cement color?

are you wanting to use paint only, or maybe some of the fake stones?

Old 03-20-07, 03:13 PM
Reply from Eu from Brazil (received in PM):

"Hello,

Yes I want a wall where I use a cement only at surface to show like a concrete . I don't want a paint like cement I need a recipe wich use a cement and water and be smooth,but I don't know the amount of each ingredient."

-------------------------------------

it sounds like you're wanting to do an interior stucco type finish, so i'm moving your question to the "Bricks, Masonry, Stucco and Concrete" topic....good luck!

Old 03-20-07, 03:27 PM
What is the surface now?

Old 03-20-07, 03:48 PM
Smile Cement wall

Hello,now the wall is covered with cement and painted (white) .Here in Brazil has become popular to make only one wall (ready) with a real mix of cement and water (like a cream) and pass at all the wall.Before dry pass a sponge for keep very smooth.I don't know the amount of cement,water,glue or other mix part because it is secret at professionals.My wall has 10'x10'(10 square feet).

Thanks

Old 03-20-07, 04:03 PM

TS -

You are the cement coatings expert. I have some experience on some Brazilian construction methods you may be interested in since you are more qualified to answer this posting.

Almost all construction in Brazil cities is either 6" concrete loadbearing block or 6" poured walls. Many apartments are 15 to 20 stories. In both concrete structures or loadbearing block buildings, the interior non-bearing walls are usually block (some coarse textured) - no cheap wood construction.

The exteriors are a sand/cement stucco finish. There are readily available materials such as latex additives and other materials (some U.S. brands), since in many ways the Brazilian construction is more advanced than typical U.S. apartment buildings.

I hope this helps you "see" the situation.

Dick

Old 03-20-07, 08:46 PM
Is the paint shiny or dull, latex flat or gloss?
a tinta brilhante ou bacilose , goma chato ou brilho?

Old 03-21-07, 04:24 PM
Smile About paint

The wall is covered with a dull white ( we call here a PVA acrylic paint).
In Brazil after make a wall using a brick and a mix of cement,sand and CaO or clay we cover all the wall with a mix of cement,sand and water (in diferent proportion to glue the bricks).After 30 days drying we sand and paint or make some texture and paint over it.

Now I would like to cover this wall with the cement mix I told at first day.This layer is very thin is only at surface and many people use it here in Brazil,but when they know the secret of each part mix correctly they don't tell for each other. When you see the wall you image all the wall was made with concrete but it is only at surface.For people wich like concrete it is a wonderful wall

Thanks a lot for try to help and if I find here in Brazil I'll try first a sample at a less important place ( a wall at back of my home) and send the recipe to all here.

Old 03-21-07, 06:49 PM
Here is how you do it. The paint on your wall is an issue, first. You will need to use a highly modified cementious primer to provide adhesion. An example is one like this: Parex base coat 121. Another would be SGM Bond-Kote. Once you have that completed, use this mix:

(by volume)

1 part portland cement
2 parts silica sand, graded to ASTM C-144 (masonry sand)
and 1-2 parts marble dust or marble fines (also known as pool mix)

For your mix water, use an acrylic bonding agent such as Parex Adacryl or ICI Acryl 60. Dilute that 3 to 1 with clean water and use it to mix the powdered portion of the mortar. Mix the mortar to the consistancy of crumbly dough, drier than pancake batter, wetter than play-dough.

Here is the important part, and how you will make it look like a poured concrete wall or column:

Apply the mixture over the base coat to a thickness of 1/8" or less. Use this coat to eliminate any surface irregularities. The plane of the wall should be less than 1/8" plus or minus when you are done, but do not hard trowel the finish; leave it a little "sandy" or rough to the touch. Allow to semi-harden (12-24 hours), then apply a second coat at 1/16" or less. For both applications, use a steel trowel. Once the second coat is on the wall, allow it to harden for an hour or so, and then begin to burnish the surface with the steel trowel. Just rub the trowel on the surface, over and over, applying medium pressure and a very slight tilt to the trowel (the trowel edge should be higher in the direction of movement). If the edges of the trowel leave marks, stop, the wall is still too wet. You may have to use a spray bottle to mist the surface if it sets on you, though

The result will be similar to a vibrated placed concrete surface in a slick form.

Bug holes are optional and require more effort than I care to explain, although if you want to simulate poorly placed concrete do everything as above, but stop after the application of the second coat and apply saran wrap to the wet finish. Use a paint roller on top of the plastic to remove air bubbles. Do not remove the plastic for at least 12 hours, as it will retard the set.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-07, 07:02 PM
Note: One thing I forgot to mention is color. If you want it to look like regular, plain concrete, use grey cement and black marble dust, if it is available. If it is not, you will have to add a very small amount of ferrous oxide dye (black), and I do mean very small amount!

Old 03-21-07, 08:00 PM
Smile Thanks a lot

Thanks for this recipe.I'll try at internet to understand what each product is and the similar kind (and name) here in Brazil and then I'll try to do it at my sample place and check how I'll be show.Maybe I'll be out some days for trying and when I have the result I'll come back to tell about it.

Thanks a lot for your help for now,see you.