Removing paint from brick

Old 04-05-07, 08:59 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing paint from brick

I own a home that has a brick front that had been painted by the previous owner. I am pretty sure it is an oil based paint. Is it possible to completely remove the paint from the brick and have it restored to the original brick color?

Is it true that some states( I live in NJ) ban oil based paints due to the large amount of harmful vapors and ozone destroying gases emitted by these type of paints?

Does that mean only latex based paints are only allowed for exterior painting? If so, how long does a typical paint job last for latex based paint on cedar shingles?

Thanks for any input.

Old 04-07-07, 06:50 AM
S
Smile

Sand blasting will remove ALL TYPES of paint. It is done all the time, but probably not a do-it-yourself project. You can ask your local tool rental store though.

Ask your local paint store about paints that CAN'T be used.

I wish you well,

Dale
Indy

Old 04-07-07, 09:25 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Some softer bricks and mortar should not be sandblasted. There are masonry paint strippers available. Brick and mortar are porous and absorbent. It's next to impossible to remove paint from the pores.

Old 04-07-07, 10:26 AM
S
I should have said, BLAST. There are LOTS of different kinds of BLASTING materials, some are so soft that they will remove paint without harming the surface below. Baking soda is one of of these and used often. I have seen brand new HIGH END cars that have been BLASTED with baking soda and all that needed to be done before top coat was washing down with pre-paint liquids.

A good blasting company knows how to BLAST and do very little harm, if any to the surface below. You DON'T BLAST head on if you have concerns of damage. The degree of angle has a lot to do with the possible damage some materials will suffer.

I know of NO other way of removing paint from such porous materials as bricks and mortar.

I wish you well, FOR SURE.

Dale
Indy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: