cinder block wall

Old 04-13-07, 04:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy cinder block wall

My yard is below streeet level and there is a cinder block retaining wall inside the sidewalk. I recently put my house on the sewer. The plumber had to dig under the wall to connect to the sewer. The dirt is now settleing and the wall is comming apart from the bottom. There is a 1 1/2 in. gap on the first 2 courses, and seperation on all 5 courses. I would like any ideas to fix this without having to replace the entire wall. Between the 2nd and 3rd course the seperation is only 1/8 in. or less , but 7 blocks wide. The rest of the seperations are confined to 3 blockswide.

Old 04-13-07, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
cinder block wall

It sounds like there is no footing under the wall or the footing cracked.

My guess would be the sewer work loosened up the soil, causing the settlement.

If there is no footing, you have been lucky the wall stood as long as it has.

If there is a footing, the work may have damaged it, causing the settlement.

Either way, with a broken footing or no footing repairing the wall would a waste of time unless there was something to carry the wall.

Have a talk with your plumber or call an engineer.

Dick

Old 04-13-07, 07:52 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Masonry structures will arch naturally over a weakness. That is why the crack is shorter but larger at the bottom of the wall and longer but less pronounced at the top. It sounds to me like there was some scouring of the dirt around the trench due to poor compaction around the penetration. I would call the plumber first and document the damage.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: