Attaching concrete walkway to foundation with rebar

Old 04-15-07, 02:15 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have gotten quotes for walkways down the sides of our 2 year old home from a couple of contractors. Both have suggested drilling rebar into my poured foundation to prevent the walkways from settling in the future if there is settling in the ground underneath the walkways. Is this a common practice and is it advisable? My foundation has several cracks in it already that have had to be injected by the builder. I am worried that drilling into the foundation might produce new cracks.

Old 04-15-07, 02:51 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Walkway

If you do this, the outside edge of the walkway will settle and the walkway will be tilted. Better to let it settle evenly.

Old 04-15-07, 03:41 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A floating concrete slab (like a sidewalk) should not be attached to the foundation.

I would look for a couple of better contractors and not someone that wants to support one edge of a sidewalk instaed of being resposible for a solid base under the slab.

Put in a little gravel, compact it and place good concrete.

dick

Old 04-15-07, 03:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

A floating concrete slab (like a sidewalk) should not be attached to the foundation.

I would look for a couple of better contractors and not someone that wants to support one edge of a sidewalk instaed of being resposible for a solid base under the slab.

Put in a little gravel, compact it and place good concrete for you sidwalk.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: