What to look for in a Stamped Concrete Contractor?

Old 04-18-07, 07:22 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

We are considering a stamped concrete patio. It will be relatively large about 800 sq ft. What should I be looking for in a contractor as far as construction techniques and certifications?

Also is there maintenance for this type of patio.

Once online source I read recommended 1/2" steel reinforcing bars on 24" centers in both directions set in the middle of a 4" slab. That seems reasonable to me to prevent cracking. Also control joints should be cut to 1/4 the depth of the slab every 10 feet right?

How about the base preparation?

Thanks for any advice.

- Mark

Old 04-18-07, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

The best thing to look for is references and personally look at the projects that have been completed by the contractor. Keep in mind you will only get a list of good jobs.

Your general understanding of the control joint depth is proper and applicable to all concrete. Some people say 1/3 of the depth.

Dick

Old 04-18-07, 12:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice.

How about preparing the excavation for the pour? I think I will have a muddy clayish type of consistancy down there. I assume all of the soft soil will have to be removed and then filled with some type of stone and then compacted? What type of stones should be used.

I realized that the pour is only as good as the base so I want to make sure that is done properly.

And is there any special treatment for the patio to house foundation joint?

- Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: