A good mason?

Old 04-18-07, 08:15 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A good mason?

My house that I just purchased has an eyesoar: an air conditioning unit right in the front facade. If I remove it, I'm left with this huge hole in the wall - right into my kitchen. How can I get a mason to match the bricks of this 1941 house to fill the gap in the wall? Is it impossible to match? If the holw is right beside the front door, are there other options to cover the hole that are aesthetically pleasing?

Old 04-18-07, 09:22 AM
T
Are there any flowerbeds with brick borders on your house or in the area? Often the same brick would be used in the neighborhood. I would scour around looking for some, as you will not be able to match them with a modern brick. Worts case, you can demo somewhere on the backside of the house/garage and use those, replacing with as close as you can match. The alternative is to make it an accent panel with a contrasting brick/material.

Old 04-18-07, 11:33 AM
B
Outside the box

I may have to think outside the box with the space that remains. Someone suggested a stained glass window. It's the size of an air conditioning unit, and the way itis situated next to the door facade, I'm just not sure if a window would look right. It's very bizarre looking. I like the ideas you suggested. Keep 'em coming!

Old 04-18-07, 12:10 PM
S
Smile

Do you have a college nearby that has a architect school, or a home design course? Maybe by contacting them, they might be able to come up with a student that would take on the project as part of his or her studies. Worth a phone call, for sure. Of course you could always contact a architect.

I wish you well,

Dale
Indy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: