Fixing concrete slabs in front of garage

Old 04-19-07, 10:22 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My house is about 40 years old, and the concrete slabs in front of my garage are now cracked, loose, and generally in need of some love. There is one area in particular were a slab is cracked and it is a bit lower then the rest of them, causing a gap under the garage door for mice and other misc things to enter my house. Is this something a DIY'er like myself can fix with some QuickCrete? I have like four bags of it laying around but I am unsure if that will help me. Do I need to call in a pro?

The slabs seem to be about 12" wide, a few feet long, and I have no idea how far down into the ground they go...??? This is a really loose guess for the dimensions of the slabs. The driveway slopes uphill and then runs into these slabs. I will update this post with real measurements tonight.

I will post pictures of the issue later on this evening or tomorrow. Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. I do general home repair but not much in the way of concrete work.

Old 04-20-07, 07:40 AM
N
Here are two images if they help:
http://www.johnkalnin.com/house/Concrete2.jpg
http://www.johnkalnin.com/house/Concrete1.jpg

As you can see this is in bad shape. I don't need it to be perfect, just smooth and level. No suggestions???

Old 04-20-07, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

From what little I can see is that your asphalt pavement os old and cracked allowing water to saturate the ground.

Your concrete has cracked because of a lack of support from below, partially because of the water and partially because of the soil. It appears the cracked concrete is fairly old based on the appearance.

Just dumping some Quikrete concrete on top will do little without a serious job of roughening the old surface and applying a bonding agent. In short, it will crack again, but the patch might be a fill for a very short period of time, if at all.

I would suggest removing the concrete and any loose dirt. Replace the dirt with compacted gravel base material and new concrete about 6" thick. Put a rebar is it for good measure since car traffic and weight will be concentrated and magnified by any elevation difference.

You should also do something with the driveway also. Unsealed cracks and weeds will destroy it quickly.

Dick

Old 04-20-07, 08:49 AM
N
Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: