stone pulling away from brick

Old 04-20-07, 12:19 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking at buying a home but we have noticed that in the front of the house the stone is slightly pulling away from the brick. The stone and brick are original to the 55 year old house. There is no water damage to the inside of the house. Is there a way to fix this?

Old 04-20-07, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Are you actually buying a home without a pre-purchase home inspection as part of the purchase agreements?

As a minimum, have an inspection by a home inspector. This is a general visual inspection of the structure and systems. Some home inspectors are qualified to go into specialized problems like structural, furnaces or old electrical. If they are not, a good inspector would note that an expert should be contacted.

You could also hire and engineer to look at only the strcutural aspects. A good engineer should be able to identify the cause and possible repair methods.

Dick

Old 04-20-07, 01:08 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oh no def. inspection!

Oh no....we have our home inspection tomorrow actually. We will be sure to point this out to him and ask for any suggestions. I was just wondering if anyone has ever had a similiar problems and what solutions they used to fix the problem. Don't worry we would never buy a house without a home inspection!

Old 04-20-07, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Definitely point out your concerns about the stone and brick.

A home inspector is a generalist and not everyone is an expert in all areas (structural, electrical, HVAC, roofing, etc.)

As long as he knows you are concerned a good inspector will try to answer your questions. Since a certified home inspector is not permitted to do work on homes he inspects, he may not up to date on repair costs.

If he is not qualified for an expert opinion, I am sure he will point it out and make a note on the inspection form. This qualification will allow you to have an opportunity and time to call in an expert for further opinions.

Good luck!!

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: