Drilling Brick (boxing bag bracket)

Old 04-21-07, 08:40 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Drilling Brick (boxing bag bracket)

Hi all, just bought a boxing bag bracket and want to put it on the exterior of our house on the brick wall. Dont know anything about DIY though. Iv just had a go with masonary drill bits in a hammer action drill (this much i know lol) But its bloody tough. I need to drill three holes for the bracket. And iv got half a hole done and the bit looks well slightly worse for ware. Any advice please would be great. The bracket comes with screws and ribbed plastic wall plugs. I cant believe how tought it is though. Seen some of the other posts saying to drill into the mortor but its got to hold a boxing bag so would this be strong enough for this situation as its a bit heavyier than the average hanging basket. Cheers

John

Old 04-21-07, 09:04 AM
J
Smile

Srry also wanted to add do you know what the chances are of going through into wires pipes ect this sounds silly but just want to satisfy me mum before i go drilling into her house lol shes the paranoid sort. Is it just a case of being carefull? like i said any advice greatly appreciated as im a complete novice

Old 04-22-07, 02:41 AM
J
Someone .. anyone ? lol

Old 04-22-07, 04:32 AM
P
Drilling into the mortar should still hold the weight of the bag. If you think about it, the screws are going to be surrounded by the plastic anchors anyway, which are much weaker than the mortar would be.
If it were me and I was concerned with the weight, I wouldn't use the anchors or screws provided but instead use concrete screws that go directly into the mortar (or a brick if you want). One brand name for concrete screws is Tapcon. There are others that are the same.
In my experience, a plain hammer drill with masonry bit is slow going. If you want to do it quicker and can get ahold of one (rental possibly), an SDS or SDS Plus hammer drill will work about 10 times as fast. I use one to attach concrete forms to brick walls (we go into the mortar) and I've been using the same bit for over a year with no real wear. On an SDS Plus, instead of a screw type chuck, the bit just snaps in and locks. As long as the bit is only as deep as the brick and you're not punching through on the other side, you don't have to worry about plumbing or wiring. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 04-22-07, 04:34 AM
P
By the way, SDS is a type of drill, not a brand name. Mine is a Bosch but all the major manufacturers make them.

Old 04-22-07, 04:53 AM
J
Cheers mate thats fantastic ill have a go tomorrow!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: