Foundation Depth thru compacted fill

Old 04-24-07, 04:55 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am putting in a steel building that will be riding on Piers. Code in my area (Rhode Island) is 42 inches deep to get below the frost line. I brought in fill to level out the area I am putting the building on. The fill is 3" minus topped with processed gravel and has all been compacted. My excavator scraped away about 12 to 18 inches of loam/topsoil before be put the fill down and compacted it.

Am I required to go 42 inches below the original soil line, or 42 inches below the level of the compacted fill ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-24-07, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

When it comes to frost depth, the piers should be at least the required amount below the finished grade. It does not depend on soil type and you should not let it freeze below the footings during construction.

Mother Nature does not care what kind of soil was there when it comes to frost penetration. She also does not know what the previous soil grade was. It is always good practice to have good soil around and under any footings.

The building inspector you are paying (in taxes, permit fees, etc.) will help you in the application of the code since you paid for the permit.

Dick

Old 04-25-07, 05:47 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks ! That helps.

jon

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: