Moisture is killing my deck!

Old 04-30-07, 12:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Moisture is killing my deck!

4 months ago built a small deck, redwood.
The deck butts up against the back of the garage atop a concrete slab.

l exterior
l
l<----------6'----------->
l______________________ 18" high
___ l_____l_____l_____l______l_________concrete floor_____
^
l
l
Leaks here!

Already the boards are warping and water is coming in under the wall in the garage.
Can I pull up the deck and put flashing there? What's best to keep from warping?

Old 05-01-07, 05:52 AM
S
Is it attached?

Is the deck attached to the back wall of the garage? Not sure what you mean by "butts up" to the back of the garage.

Did water come under the garage wall before you installed the deck?

Does the slab slope away from the garage or into the garage?

Your diagram shows the water infiltration at the slab/garage joint. Is this correct?

If you attached the deck to the garage wall without flashing, then you need to correct this situation not only to prevent water infiltration, but rot.

As far as the redwood warping, I would check with the lumber yard where this was purchased to see if they or a rep. from the manufacturer will inspect and possibly replace the material.

Old 05-02-07, 03:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Red face Thank you.

Yes, the deck was built right up to exterior garage wall.

There was a slight leak before the deck, now it's significantly worse. Perhaps due to the siding being removed below the deck surface so that the deck could attach to the garage wall.

The slab slopes toward the garage, and there isn't really anywhere to redirect the water - it is a rather small enclosed area (bordering properties).

I'm thinking about removing the deck from the garage (it is p.t. 2x6 fastened to the garage frame) and installing flashing along "infiltration point", re-attaching the deck. Then refinishing the redwood.

Any tips on applying the flashing?

I did not do the work myself and the guy who did is not licenced. The dude is gone.

Thanks Sarge.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: