Need opinion: cheapest option for parking pad?

Old 05-02-07, 01:14 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need opinion: cheapest option for parking pad?

Hey everyone,

After getting a quote of $1,800 for a 12*20 cement driveway addition (plus the triangle section leading to the 12*20 slab), I think I want to explore alternatives.

My only purpose is to give a parking spot to a housemate (he drives an explorer), and every though every other house in my neighborhood does it, *I* don't want to look tacky by parking cars in my grass on a regular basis.

I've examined tufftrack grass pavers ($3 per 4sqft piece) but this option (cost of pavers plus the cost of making the base of recommended 6" gravel and then the topsoil, of course) doesn't really save me that much compared to concrete. Aethetically, I don't need to have grass in that area (if that's what's behind the cost of this novel idea).

Will straight gravel hold up or wil I likely find myself needing to add more every few months?

Any other cheap suggestions here? Specific name brands of products would be helpful.

-Chris

Old 05-02-07, 01:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 842 Upvotes on 739 Posts
Soil type and traffic conditions usually determine how long gravel will last. I have mostly slate rock so the gravel lays on top = long life. If you have soft soil the gravel will get beat into the dirt and might need to be refeshed in a short period of time.

Ideally you would remove some of the top soil and either start off with slate or large gravel and then dress the top up with smaller gravel. Hard to say from here what will be the most economical and last. Ask neighbors or maybe even the gravel yard which stone will work best for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: