Exterior Brickface Repair/Replacement

Old 05-03-07, 03:20 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Brickface Repair/Replacement

Hello. I posted this in the siding forum, but haven't gotten any bites. We recently purchased a home. It has brickface siding. There is a 8' x 6' section that came off when they put in the sewer system. We would "like" to attempt this repair ourselves. Problem is, I don't know the first thing about exterior brickface except the supplier where I can get it. We have laid tile before just fine, but I want to do this right.

First, where the brickface fell off, there is a flat stucco type surface. I am assuming this is good enough to hold the brickface to? Or was it put on incorrectly the first time?

They painted the flat stucco surface where the brickface came off. Do I need to remove the paint first (I am thinking yes)? And what is the best way to do this?

For other small cracks in the mortar and brickface around the house, can I fill them in with new mortar to repair? The house is getting a complete new painting after this is done, mortar and all.

Also, any instructions with the type/brand of masonry products I should use would be great, or if you know of a good book. Thanks.

Old 05-03-07, 10:09 AM
T
What exactly is "brickface". Do you mean thin brick faces that are adhered to a stucco basecoat?

Old 05-03-07, 02:39 PM
K
Here's a kicker

Yeah, I was looking more closely at it today.... apparently, its stucco (or maybe even just mortar) cut to look like brick. I've been researching this technique online, and there are supposedly 3 layers. The first base layer thats put up over the mesh is fine... its intact with no cracks. Its the second and third layers, (the underlying mortar and top coat thats cut down to the mortar) that came off.

This house was built in '49. I have no idea when this stucco was put on.

The third layer is the layer that has color added. I don't need color added as its all being painted anyway. I have about 8,000 questions.
Is there anyone with expertise in this that can help me?
Can this be done ourselves (painstakingly I'm sure)?
If so, how the heck do you cut those almost perfect brick shapes into the stucco????
AND what exactly are the second and third layers made of?
OR... how much can one expect to PAY to have someone else do it at appx 60 sq ft.?
Oh, and since they painted over the section that fell off, how do I get the paint off to do the repair? The painted section is about 32 sq ft.

Its always something.... thanks.

Old 05-03-07, 08:09 PM
T
The hardest part will be removing the paint. You need to remove 80% of any given area, minimum. That means any given square inch is 80% fresh stucco, or any given square foot is. Probably an angle grinder is your best bet on that small of an area.

After you have it prepped, you apply a thin layer of stucco that is the color of the mortar. This layer needs to be flat.

Next you apply the final color coat. To create brickfaces, you use a straightedge horizontally, and a ruler vertically to mark the joints. You then use a caulking trowel to rake the mortar joints. Works best when the brown coat is still carvable beneath the color coat.

Old 05-04-07, 03:17 AM
K
Thank you

Thank you so much Tscarborough!!! You actually make this sound easy. If the paint removal is going to be more tedious and annoying than the stucco I will be happy.

Do you have any advice as to how long the mortar color should sit before I apply the finish coat?

Lowes carries quikcrete stucco in the brown coat color and white. Would you suggest another product perhaps that is better quality? I'm sorry to keep bugging you. Again, I cannot thank you enough.

Old 05-05-07, 06:41 PM
T
Conditions will dicate the amount of time between the second (mortar) coat and the final (color) coat. What you are looking for is enough set on the mortar coat that it will not bleed or blend into the color coat but it is soft enough to be slightly carved as you cut the joints. It can vary from an hour to a day, depending upon the temperature and the humidity. Since you are painting it, it is not so critical anyway, and you do not have to use different color coats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: