Stucco for Island BBQ

Old 05-07-07, 02:59 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco for Island BBQ

I am finishing my bbq island and need to stucco over the hardiback backerboard.
1) Do I need to tape the seams? If so, use exterior spackle over the tape?

2) It was suggested that I can use my texture hopper/compressor set-up and spray Omega Flex Stucco right over the backerboard. Has anyone done this or have exper with spraying Omega?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 06:18 PM
T
If it were me, I would mesh tape the joints and float them with thinset. I am not sure about the Omega product, but it sounds like an acrylic finish coat, so I would also float out the entire surface to a pretty good grade(+/- 1/8") before applying the finish coat, unless it is applied at 80 mil or more.

Old 05-10-07, 10:58 AM
N
Thanks. Can I spray? Btw, you helped me with my stone firepit...looks nice. thanks for the tips.

Old 06-30-07, 10:47 PM
M
Stucco for BBQ Island

Maybe a bit late for you now... I use DRYVIT, a rubber based Stucco apply direct to Hardibacker. No need to tape joints or fill holes, DRYVIT is rubber based and absorbs imperfections. $55 for 5 gals. Just spray or brush concrete glue to Hardibacker, then apply DRYVIT, spread or brush or dilute a little an spray. (I trowel it). It comes in various grades (smooth to rough) and can be mixed in any color just like getting paint at Home Depot. Their website is www.dryvit.com (obvious).

My website has a couple of BBQ's I've used it on.. I wouldn't use anything else, it's flexible, totally waterproof, and best of all NO MESH etc..

www.noadvertisingpersonalwebsites.com

Last edited by GregH; 07-02-07 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Advertising personal websites not allowed.