estimating concrete block wall

Old 05-09-07, 08:35 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I am planning on building a 2 feet tall concrete block (cinder block) retaining wall. I will use the rebar and concrete to fill the blocks, just because I don’t want to come back to it ever again. Can someone please guide me to correct estimation process? How much rebar and concrete I need per linear foot? Thanks,

Old 05-09-07, 08:51 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you do not want to ever do it again, and want to save time and money, do not build a CMU retaining wall. That is not their designed use, nor is the system capable of performing as a retaining wall.

Use segmental retaining wall units. They are effective, easy, and the overall cost is less than what you will spend on a CMU wall.

Old 05-10-07, 05:44 AM

For segmental retaining wall ideas and information, go to one of the sites (Allan Block, Anchor Wall Systems, Keystone or Versalok). All of these systems are made internationally and domestically and there should be manufacturers near you.

Dick

Old 05-10-07, 08:41 AM
N
thanks

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! I did try to see how much will “keystone” type of wall will cost me & it came to $1,376 using 6X16X11 block that weighs ~ 53 lbs. A smaller Keystone block 4X12X9 that weighs 25 lbs. with 4.5 yards of gravel for footing and drainage would cost me $1,775 delivered.
My current set up that was inherited from the previous owner is just 4X4 painted (probably only on top) posts and 8X12s attached on the wrong (facing my yard) side to it. I initially was going to replicate those using a 6X6 treated posts and lumber, that would cost me ~ $900 in materials. Considering that it probably lasted since the house was built in 1981 it didn’t sound too bad. The cinder block idea came up because I’ve seeing a couple of neighbors doing (actually it was someone doing it for them) their walls about the same height or higher in cinder block and then some of them would stucco it too. Cost $ .79 per block from HD, which comes to ~ $ 222, even with the footing (I’d put footing with the block wall also) and stucco it should be at least half of the block wall, shouldn’t it?
I am not trying to be arrogant, I just don’t know what I am doing and trying to save some money.
Thanks,

Old 05-10-07, 08:51 AM
T
I doubt 8x8x16 CMU are .79, more like 1.50, plus rebar, plus horizontal reinforcing, plus mortar, plus concrete to fill them, plus labor to lay them, plus digging foundation, plus rebar, plus concrete, plus placement.

Old 05-10-07, 08:59 AM
T
You have 250 SqFt of wall, it looks like. In this area, for me to build a CMU retaining wall (no frost footing), fully grouted, with sufficient reinforcing that it may last, I would charge around $6250. For Segmental wall, $4000.

Old 05-10-07, 12:30 PM
N
Wink sure

You're right, no frost footing in So Cal., but some kind of footing anyway.
The price of the CMU is as follows at my local HD:
6X8X16 - $.79
8X8X16 - $.98
8X8X8 - $ 1.12 (makes no sense to me, but that’s what they said)
Yet even @ 1.50 its $423.00 for 250 sq. ft. I am planning on doing it myself. So how many sacks of 90lbs. concrete I need to do the decent footing and fill of the blocks?
I did find 12X4X whatever (they are not sure of the depth) segmental blocks at same home depot for $ 1.19 but it’s clearance item so they have less then a 100… & the next step up will be 3.98 for 12X16, that’s $ 748 for 250 sq. ft. Is it a better deal then “messing” with mortar & concrete and rebar and stucco?
Thanks again,

Old 05-10-07, 12:48 PM

You have to add the material and labor to the CMU cost in addition to the block and stucco labor.

Segemental retaining walls (SRW) do not use a concrete footing and do not have the cost of a mixer and footing concrete and the labor of stucco since the face is probably colored and split.

The SRWs would certainly be faster and easier.

Did you check to see what they have at RCP in Lemon Grove?

Dick

Old 05-10-07, 12:51 PM
T
Price it complete, all products required, and you will see which is actually cheaper. Concrete alone would be close to a grand here (10 Yds). Me and one helper could complete the entire SRW in 2 days, while I would schedule 4 guys 3 days for the CMU wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: