garage foundation

Old 05-10-07, 03:44 AM
psrs0810
Visiting Guest
garage foundation

We want to build a 2 car detached garage in the back of our house. We have an existing garage attached to our home which is too small.

From the alley our driveway slopes towards the house by about 3 feet. Is it possible to build that up in flits, compacting it. Then when I get to final grade have someone pour the foundation for the garage?

We are located in PA, so we do get freezing temps. Is there a way to build the foundation with out having to build 3 foot perimeter walls?

Thanks

Old 05-10-07, 04:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Was it really neccessary to double post?

Old 05-11-07, 03:38 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you going to extend the existing garage or pour a new floor separate from the house? Your attached garage has a foundation poured with the house I can guarantee that, so if you add-on to it you MUST have a foundation as well… one can get away with just corner foundations of the attached garage that are below the frost line but I would speak to your local village inspector first.
If it is a separate slab that one can go with a floating slab without a foundation.

As for your base, compact it at 6” lifts and use a gravel base with screenings that compacts well, and let it sit for a month or so if possible before the final grade and pouring of the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: