What is my foundation made of and repair?

Old 05-10-07, 08:16 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What is my foundation made of and repair?

Hi,
Thought I might be able to attach a photo of my situation but it appears that this can not be done.

I have a 20 year old home in WI. There is about 6 inches of foundation between the aluminum siding and the ground. I've noticed that about 2" below the siding some horizontal cracks have developed. They are about 1/4-1/2" wide and run for several feet at a time. The "cover material" for the foundation appears to be some sort of white cloth mesh covered with some sort of cement like product that almost looks like it was troweled on. The cement layer only appears to be 1/4-1/3" thick. I've never seen this before. I'm assuming that the real meat of the foundation is cement block.

My questions are as follow:

1) What is this mesh/thin concrete surface layer and why was this chosen as a finish to the foundation?

2) Are these cracks anything to worry about and how can I repair them?

I could e-mail anyone who is interested a photo of the cracks. Thanks so much for any help anyone could offer.

Cheers,
Vance

Old 05-10-07, 10:12 AM
C
For photos, you can make an account for free on some sites, such as PhotoBucket. Then you can put the url in your message so people can go look at it.

Old 05-11-07, 04:09 PM
C
Sounds like it is made out of puppy dog tails…. Seriously, it is probably made of block, up-load a photo to photobucket if you can and link it here.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: