New outdoor stucco ceiling over drywall

Old 05-14-07, 12:48 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New outdoor stucco ceiling over drywall

We have a mid 1970's built home in South Florida. The outdoor patio is a flat-roofed patio with sofit vents. The ceiling of the patio is indoor-grade drywall. I don't know if there is any kind of insulation installed. The drywall was taped and compounded but never had any primer/sealer painted on it. The ceiling was finished with a 'popcorn' texture finish. This finish began to fall off in clumps. It also started to sag where it did not stick well to the tape seams. I scraped away all of the texture and want to apply a new texture finish. I don't think that the popcorn texture was good choice for outdoor conditions. Especially down here with all the heat/humidity.
I could be wrong. Maybe it failed because it didn't have a properly prepared surface to stick to.

I am re-taping and finishing the drywall in preparation for a new textured finish. Since I'm a rookie, I've chosen to go with the fiberglass mesh drywall tape. I'll try to do a neat job of mud/sanding over the mesh. After that is all done, I want to paint/seal the drywall then nail up metal netting and cover it with stucco. It would be very expensive and time consuming to replace the current drywall with outdoor-grade drywall so I want to keep what I have. My main concern is the moisture that the sofit vents allow in to collect in the air-space between the roof and drywall ceiling. In the case of hurricanes, actual rain water can get blown up into that space. Will I be safe with standard drywall primer/sealer or is there a product better suited to my outdoor environment? Should I use a vapor barrier between the drywall and the stucco?

Old 05-14-07, 02:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jim

I'd skip the stucco, repair the drywall and then retexture with a texture of your choice - there are some that are similiar to stucco finishes. The main reason the popcorn failed was lack of paint. If you repair the drywall, texture, prime and coat with a good exterior latex paint you shouldn't have any problems.

The 'sticky' fiberglass drywall tape is prone to failures. When using it over large areas it is best to also apply additional adhesive.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: