terrace hammock installation: concrete/brick

Old 05-20-07, 03:41 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
terrace hammock installation: concrete/brick

I have a hammock which is essentially supported by a hook at the top. I would like to install this hammock on my terrace but my only two options are a bit tricky and I could use some help in either fine tuning an idea or receiving some new ones.

option 1: A hook somehow installed into the concrete base of the terrrace above me. I don't know exactly how this would work and I wouldn't imagine that an anchor would work since it wouldn't be able to expand in the solid concrete.

option 2: a L bracket which would be attached to the brick face of the house, and extend out over the center of the terrace where I'd hook on the hammock. Will the brick and L bracket support this kind of weight? (I suppose ~250lbs max)

thanks in advance for your help or ideas.

Old 05-21-07, 03:19 AM
P
They make all types of anchors for concrete. I would think that if those are your only two options, you should go with anchoring it in the concrete above. You probably won't find what you need at Lowes. HD, etc. though. Google Hilti. They should have anchors that would work. Also Fastenal (sp?) and Gunnebo.
Also check out a local tool rental yard. In addition to renting the tools you'll need, they should carry the fasteners to go with them as well. Good luck.

Pecos

Old 05-21-07, 03:10 PM
M
Thanks for your quick response. I wasn't aware of the anchors available for conrete applications and I agree that it would be the more simple of the two options. I've found a few places online that sell anchors for concrete: requiring a pre-drilled hole the diameter and length of the anchor and then tightening a hex bolt or something until it expands.

A follow-up question I have is would it be safe for the integretiy of the balcony/terrace above me for me to drill a 1/4" or 1/2" diameter hole, 1.5" or 2" deep into the concrete for me to insert the anchor into? The hole would be in the center of the of the base (in terms of width) and about 2.5' away from the edge (length wise).

thanks again

Old 05-21-07, 05:20 PM
P
It would be impossible to say without seeing the concrete in question. However, if it is sound and well-built, the concrete should easily hold that much weight.

Old 05-21-07, 05:28 PM
T
Just a note on expanding concrete anchors. They are designed for shear stress, not pull out strength. The depth of the slab you are drilling into will be the prime consideration as to what type of anchor you use, but consider some type of plate to spread the load some. I would probably use a 4 hole plate and tapcons.

Old 05-21-07, 05:36 PM
M
I would say that the base of the terrace is approximately 6" deep. I think I'm more concerned about weakening the concrete/base of the terrace above me, over the anchor simply coming out...although that would be bad as well since I'm sure it will pull some contrete out with it, not to mention someone's behind would meet with the floor quite abruptly.

By a plate, I'm assuming it would be of some strong type of metal with four holes on the outer corners and something in the middle (which I'll have to affix?) from which I can hook my hammock on to. Is there any particular name for such a plate or would I have to buy one and make the holes myself?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what, exactly, are tapcons? Are they a specific type of anchor/bolt used for concrete?

Old 05-22-07, 02:29 AM
P
Tapcons are concrete screws. Tapcon is a brand name that has become a standard term, like Kleenex. There are other brands as well. They are usually painted blue and some come packaged with the proper sized hammer drill bit. I'd recommend the ones that have a hex head (like a bolt) instead of the ones with a phillips screw head.
If the concrete is sound, don't worry about the screws/anchors pulling out chunks. I agree with Tscarborough about some type of plate though. It sounds like a good idea.

Pecos

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: