Pouring a step on top of side walk?

Old 05-21-07, 05:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Pouring a step on top of side walk?

I poured my front porch a couple weeks ago, MY FIRST, and give myself a "C" as my grade, maybe a "C-". I did good except I believe I broomed it a tad to early, or used to rough a broom. The brush marks are alittle more severe than I wanted, but very liveble. I very GENTLY rubbed it with a brick stone a couple days later and that took off the sharpness, but didn't expose any of the garvel. I also learned that I waited alittle to long to edge. It was setting up and although I could get my edger down into the concrete the gravel was difficult to move out of the way. I am thinking I should have hit it earlier and then come back a couple more times to finish it off. LEARNING, for sure.

My porch is 8" above the level walk, so I need to pour a step approx. 4" deep X 12" X 39" the width of the walk. Can I make a 3-sided form with the open side against the porch edge and pour right on top of the walk? Is there anything special I need to do to keep it from walking off the walk as time goes on? Too, do I need to put a piece of expansion material on the open side of the form against the porch edge?

Thanks,

Dale
Indy

P.S. I have three spots on the edge of the porch where gravel is exposed, approx. 3" x 6" X 1/4" to 3/8" deep. Is sand mix also called top mix what I should trowel into such?

Old 05-21-07, 05:32 PM
P
Dale,
unless you cannot navigate an 8" step for health reasons, etc., there's no need for an intermediate step. Codes say an 8" step riser is OK, just no more than that. Furthermore, a 4" step can almost be classified as a tripping hazard. I'm not sure what the minimum height is by code.
If you decide on the step, you can do it as you suggested. Just make sure it is well braced so the sides of the form don't spread apart. It couldn't hurt to drill a few holes in the sidewalk and drive a couple pieces of rebar into them below the level of the top of the step. That way, it can't move around on you.
The sand/topping mix will work to patch the honeycombs. Buy a rubber float and use it to rub the mix on the entire face of the porch, filling in any holes as you go. That way, the entire face will all be the same color. Good luck.
P.S. use the edger the first time as soon as the concrete is leveled and floated. That way the rocks are moved out of the way on subsequent passes.

Pecos

Old 05-21-07, 05:49 PM
S
The 8" step up seems high, the step from the porch into the home is 4", and the 8" just looks strange. Too since we are selling this home I am concerned that someone older might find 8" step to much.

I feel it best I pour a new step. I had planned on drilling a few holes, and will see how it works out.

It took 4-1/2 cubic yards for both porches and the cost was 427.00. I had rented a buggy and had it delivered so ended up with 600.00 for the two porches. I'm happy. My son and son-in-law helped, and said, THIS IS WORK. Poured the front at around 11 while the porch was in the shade under the roof, leveled it and then did the rear which was in the sun. BACK AND FORTH. fun, FUN IS GOOD. The one in the sun actually turned out best.

Thanks, for your help.

Dale
Indy

Old 05-21-07, 11:53 PM
C
Pecos is correct, 7 ½” to 8” is the universal riser height and 4” rises are considered a trip hazard. I agree with the rest of the information he has given you as well.

At this link: http://h1.ripway.com/ConcreteMan/ under the chapter “pour and finish” are some illustrations that will be helpful to you about edging and the broom finish.

Steps can be tricky because one has to strip the forms when the concrete is set-up but still pliable enough to “face” the steps. That way any honeycombs can be filled in with the original mix so the steps bleach out evenly without discoloration

Old 05-22-07, 05:56 AM
S
I agree about the trip hazzard factor, but in this situation a person coming to the front door walks approx. 10 feet, then turns to their right 42" to get to the step up and onto the porch. I just feel and the BOSS, my bride of 47 years agrees that the present step is just to high.

You two have called TRIP factor to my attention and since I RESPECT YOUR ADVISE, I will build a box and test to see if such is really needed. SEE, YOUR VIEWERS DO, LISTEN, sometimes, hehehe.

Thanks for the link, Concrete man, I will review. LOVE TO LEARN.

TWO WEEKS AGO I COULDN'T SPELL "CONCRETE PERSON", and NOW I ARE ONE.

Dale
Indy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: