Exterior Moisture

Old 05-22-07, 02:23 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exterior Moisture

I have a home where the top of the foundation is very close to the ground. I recently had an interlocking stone patio put in my back yard and the patio stones come right up to the top of the foundation and next to the brick. The holes between the brick in order for moisture to escape are right along the bottom, next to the patio. I am worried that if it rains or snows the water will come through the holes and into my walls. The patio is graded so the water flows away from the wall though. Should I do anything about this such as seal the holes/vents and maybe relocate the vents higher up the wall?

Old 05-22-07, 03:12 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not a mason but...

now are these holes below the top of the pavers? If so, I would suggest not to plug them and if you do, you'll trap moisture in there no matter what or where you place new holes unless the new holes are below the older holes but then, they would still be below the top of the pavers. But these holes shouldn't be directiong a lot of water in the first place, just weep holes to allow condserdation (spelling?) somewhere to exit. And the problem would be the freeze thaw cycle in winter/spring and I'm sure you would have seen signs of the weep holes purging a lot of moisture already?
There should be enough room/space next to the foundation from the pavers interlocking ribs to allow for the little moisture to exit without causing a problem (unless the row of pavers next to the house were cut to fit, and not having the interlocking ribs next to the foundation.
See what the pros here think, but I would still contact the paver company and relay your concerns to them, in writing to see how they follow up-even if they or you intalled a mini channel drain, this would still have to be set below the weep holes and have somewhere to exit away from the house. But then at this point, the pavers would have to be cut to allow for the drain to fit and set below the top of the pavers. Not sure it is worth it or needs to be done-good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: