Prevent Corner Bead Rust Thru Stucco

Old 05-22-07, 07:58 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Prevent Corner Bead Rust Thru Stucco

I have a stucco covered chimney (presumably on a wood frame .... about 4'x3'x7' high)... 20 yrs old. I noticed that a vertical edge showed rust spots THROUGH the stucco. This was not an external stain. ('Have similar situation on a few wall edges around the house). Chipped away stucco (only about 1/4" of it) to find 1/8" metal wire that I am calling a "corner bead" (please correct my terminology). Wire brushed the metal with drill attachment, painted with Rustoleum & waited a day. Applied DAP Stucco patch, working in & around wire /stucco and let dry a day. Next day applied more patch to fully cover bead & build up stucco (to say 1/8" thick). It matched existing stucco and looked great. Had a beer and admired my work. Next day inspected and found rust THROUG the stucco. Can you advise?

Old 05-23-07, 05:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Sounds like you should have applied more rustoleum. Since there wasn't enough paint/primer to adequetly seal the rust the moisture from the stucco reactivated it. You should be able to prime the stucco with a solvent based primer to stop the rust from bleeding thru, ofcourse that is only a viable option if the stucco is painted.

Old 05-23-07, 05:29 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Or use Phospho.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: