reinforceing mortar shell ontop of liner

Old 05-24-07, 02:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Summer is coming so I am getting my pond started up. I have a liner in it and want to make a thin mortar shell for it inorder to prevent tears from rocks etc.. on the liner. I wanted to first lay down chicken wire over the liner and then go over with mortar to make a thickness of about 3/4 to 1" but unfortunately chicken wire will rust underwater. So I need a fiberglass mesh of somekind that will not rust. I was also thinking about substituting fiberglass fibers to it instead of the mesh. I have no idea where I can find fiberglass fibers or fiberglass mesh. Perhaps you guys have a much better idea inorder to reinforce the mortar shell so it don't crack on me. Thanks

Old 05-24-07, 03:01 PM
T
Wouldn't a layer of gravel suffice? That is what I have always done.

Old 05-24-07, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Do not use the normal fiberglass fibers that you normally can buy. The chicken wire will last far longer than the glass fibers. Unless you can find a place that will sell you less than a car load of alkalai resistant glass fibers, you will be wasting your time.

Use the gravel as a cushion unless you are an expert with ferro cement.

Dick

Old 05-24-07, 07:44 PM
T
Can you even still buy fiberglass fibers? I know the two that I sell are not glass, and they come in CuYd dosages, for stucco or cement, 6 or 8 bucks.

The gravel works as a passive filter and is easy to remove for maintaintence, in addition to protecting the liner. I am not even sure that the alkalinity of the mortar would not destroy your liner.

Old 05-25-07, 10:58 AM
If I put the chicken wire in the middle of the mortar will it not rust then. The sides of the pond are somewhat vertical. I intend to also use it kinda in a way that will allow me to adhere natural looking rocks to the shell with premium latex modified thinset. Thank you much

Old 05-25-07, 11:45 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

They build ocean going barges out of ferro cement. That type of construction is meant for 20 to 50 year life span, but not for amateurs.

I don'r understand why you feel fibers would be good. Fibers are NOT a structural reinforcement, and are only for micro-crack control where you have adequate control joints in the concrete. Your 3/4" thickness is not realistic and is a waste of time and materials. Glass fibers are rare because the quickly eroded by the alkalai in the concrete. Now, polyster fibers are used, but are susceptible to inexperienced use.

Forget about the concrete and use gravel with a stable, but flexible, smooth, back-up. You can always patch or throw away the liner if you chose the wrong rocks or kids get to it.

If this is a seasonal pond, you will definitely have problems with thin concrete.

Old 05-25-07, 12:15 PM
I understood on your earlier posts that the fiber is bad so I don't intend to use any fiber. If the 1" slab cracks some it won't matter to much I just need something to hold it together, in general that is. No problems with freezing here. Funny thing is I have already tried the rocks and they keep coming down on me. That is actually the reason why I thought of this 1" slab idea, becuase I cannot keep the rocks inplace no matter what I do. Thank you much

Old 05-25-07, 01:26 PM
Your probably right concretemasonry. I'll just try and think of something other idea to keep the rocks inplace while protecting the liner at the same time. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: