Brick Wall Damage

Old 05-27-07, 10:43 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Brick Wall Damage

Hello we have a century home. We brought it in 2002 and now we are finding that the brick is really damaged. The one lower wall is very soft sandy brick it is on the driveway side of the house. Who do we call first. We went down the lawsuit side already our lawyer dropped it after screwing it up. We bought a home that had a fire due to a faulty chimney and then a fire.

The wall is really bad it just seems to be that whole side. I am worrying about it collapsing.
Chrissy

Old 05-28-07, 09:24 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you thinking that the fire caused the brick to weaken ? I would be surprised at that since brick are baked in a kiln as part of the manufacturing process.

I would suggest you look up higher on the wall to discover someplace that is allowing water to saturate the wall, maybe a flashing leak ?

Freezing and thawing (assuming that freezing occurs there) then breaks apart the saturated brick making it seem to crumble.

It would take such a hot fire to cause brick to crumble that I can't imagine you would have any house left. Ever see a chimney left standing forever after the house burnt down a long time ago ?

A bricklayer is the first person I would consult to replace the damaged area. Good luck matching the old brick though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: