Can I stucco over cement board?

Old 05-28-07, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I stucco over cement board?

I'm building an outdoor bar/grill/entertainment area, as well as wrapping some patio cover posts for a more substantial look. I'd like to finish them all with stucco.

Here in AZ, typical construction method is to use styrofoam sheets as a substrate. But I'd like to use cement board (wonderboard) instead - for this project, it will be easier to install rather than the foam.

Is stucco a viable coating for the wonderboard? I plan to use wire mesh, etc. just like a normal stucco covering.

Also - what is the normal finished thickness of a stucco veneer? I plan to add some accent tiles (porcelain - 1/4" thick) to the surface, and would like them to wind up flush with the finished surface. I need to know if I must further recess the tiled areas to achieve this look, or if the stucco should end up thick enough to give me the flush fit I'm after.

Thanks all.

Old 05-28-07, 07:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes to all of your questions. In regards the tile, just lay down the base coat in those areas, then thinset the tile before you proceed with the following 2 coats.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: