Cutting Concrete for Kitchen Island

Old 05-29-07, 08:59 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Cutting Concrete for Kitchen Island

I am adding an island to my kitchen and need to cut the concrete slab. I need electricity for island outlets, plumbing for a prep sink, and a gas line for the cooktop. Is this a DIY project or am I in over my head? If I do choose to DIY what tools should I use to cut the slab? I will use electricity from an existing kitchen wall outlet and the gas line and kitchen water and drain lines are just five feet away from the island site. Please help.

Old 05-29-07, 09:09 PM
T
Post tensioned or reinforced slab and beam?

Old 06-02-07, 10:54 PM
B
kicthen island help

This is a foundation slab and I want to add an island in the kitchen. I have about four hundred square feet to play with for the island. I just want to know if I can do it myself as an intermediate and if so what tools do I need to cut the concrete for electrical, gas and water. The foundation has rebarb about 1 1/2 below surface.

Old 06-03-07, 12:01 PM
T
You need 2 trenches (water/gas and electrical). You will have to check code to see what is allowed for the water, gas, and electrical and size and space the trenches accordingly. Use a 14" quickie saw to cut the trench edges, then make crosscuts every 12 inches. Use a prybar to break out the chunks, lay the tube/pipe/wire and cover with a repair concrete mix (pressure test BEFORE you cover).

My recommendation, however is that this is not a DIY project. Maybe the cutting and covering (That saw ranks up there with chainsaws as a tool with no lattitude for misuse) but everything else should be done by a person licensed in their field.

Old 06-09-07, 12:57 PM
B
Thanks for your help

Thank you for your help. This will help me get started. I will check with the city on Monday and check the code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: