Help Fast! - Stucco is 1 week Old - When can I paint???

Old 05-30-07, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help Fast! - Stucco is 1 week Old - When can I paint???

Hi all,

We just had our addition stucco done last week. I was planning on having it primed and painted tomorrow but now I hear that we should wait for at least 30 days so it can cure. What about rain? I don't want to mess it up.

Is this true? I called a few paint shops and they said that we can get a 'hot stucco' primer and it can be used after 7 days.

Should I just wait the 3 more weeks?

Please hurry, I have the painter coming in the morning!

Old 05-30-07, 01:41 PM
By the way, the stucco guy said a few days would be OK but I read all over the Web that 30 days is the minimum...

Old 05-30-07, 01:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 362 Posts
I used to live/work in fla and have painted miles of new construction stucco. I've heard 3 days, 7 days and 30. I have no idea as to which is correct. I do know that if you paint immediately or wait a few weeks and use cheap masonary paint it will fail, 1-2 yrs. Less if you only apply 1 coat of paint.

I've never had any issues when painting after 3 days and using 2 coats of quality latex house paint[thin the first coat or use primer]

Old 05-30-07, 01:52 PM
T
Sherwin Williams says, "Until recently, you had to wait one to two months for the stucco to cure properly. However, new-generation masonry primers speed up the process considerably. For instance, Loxon Exterior Masonry Primer from Sherwin-Williams can be applied as soon as the stucco is hard, dry and at a pH level of less than 13. After the primer dries, you can follow with latex house paint immediately."

Old 05-31-07, 01:54 PM
Thanks!

I might wait a few more weeks, just to be safe....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: