Bowing Basement Wall

Old 06-02-07, 06:16 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bowing Basement Wall

I have a 1500 square foot house on a full basement. Previous owners had shored up the longer walls of the basement using large beams (8x10 or so) buried in concrete through the slab floor and then bolted to some sort of concrete?? slab outside the house. I am not 100% sure one the top/outside conection as I have not dug around the concrete pads to see how big/deep they are.
Anyway, one of the end wall of the basement is now bowing in too. I have been looking online for repair ideas. I will most likely hire this job out, but am curious as to the inside wall bracing types of repair (Gorilla Braces, the carbon fiber straps, etc) and how they compare in cost and reliability to digging out and straightening the wall from the outside and installing the grounf type anchors. The room with the bowed wall is gutted right now to get ready for a remodel and I would like to fix the foundation wall before we finish the remodel. I have seen several posts talkign about digging and rebuilding the wall costing in the $10-20,000 dollar range and that is just not a viable option for us due to cost. Especially since we will probably only be in house 3-4 more years.
Any help or advie would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-07, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,899 Upvotes on 1,705 Posts
Most repairs do not actually straighten the wall, they only brace it to provide support and prevent the wall from getting worse. The easiest way to stop walls from bowing is similar to what has already been done, but you would use a steel I-beam instead of wood, and the back of the beam would be filled in solid with mortar to provide constant support to the wall.

Old 06-02-07, 08:18 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Bowing Basement Wall

XSleeper is right about the bracing and anchors not straightening a wall. The only good way to straighten is rebuilding.

Any bracing that is visable will cost you money when you sell. A good inspector will spot repairs and note it on his report.

It is a sign that there is a problem that was not corrected, but just stopped or put off.

I suspect you have poor backfill and excess moisture in the soil. While you are at it, make sure you have proper drainage away from the house and downspout extensions.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: