what is the best way to mix the best mortar?

Old 06-05-07, 08:51 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking what is the best way to mix the best mortar?

ok this is what I did today hopefully my dad wont kill me.

I made a practice run brick wall with just sand cement and lime pre mixed as a weak substance of cement not very strong cement because I was only practicing anyways.
I made the wall and I stood there saying that I am proud of myself and it fell down and smashed into 8 brick peices it was ok for making my second or 3rd brick wall in the past few years but I am also going to trade school in brick laying because I want to be mason worker anyways again....
I have been waiting for utterly dys to start the course and I have to wait another few weeks to go into the course but I really enjoy bricklaying and I want to ask you guys whats the best way to mix mortar is it best manuel or by cement mixer?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-07, 09:18 PM
T
Here is how you practice masonry.

Make your mix 1 part lime by volume with 3 parts sand by volume. If you mix it by hand, mix it dry for 5 minutes, then wet for another 10 at least. Mix it to the consistancy of "loose" peanut butter.

Set up your area with a 2'x2' piece of plywood for your mortar at knee height. Stock your brick within easy reach. Lay out a 90 degree corner for at least 3' on either leg.

Using your level, lay up the corner, toothing back as you go.

When done check level and plumb, tear it down and do it again.

Once you can do level and plumb, build two leads (the corners you were building above) about 10' apart and practice laying to the line (lay courses of brick to infill between the leads). Tear it down and do it again.

Old 06-06-07, 07:01 PM
L
tscar are you a bit of a bricklayer yourself? I actually want to start a brick laying trade in 5 weeks if I can get threw.

Old 06-06-07, 07:58 PM
T
No I am not, and you won't be one in five weeks either. Your best bet to enter the trade is to hire on as a helper, and do your practicing on weekends. Learn the helper job well, and you will be well on your way to becoming a bricklayer.

Old 06-07-07, 08:00 PM
L
yeah I think I should start off being a labour assitant because yo have to be able to labour bricks before you can lay them with cement and mortar.

my best bet is to enter cert 2 in general construction bricklaying pre-apprenticship which is traineeship and stay there where I am I know I can do it all I have to do is try really hard and I will find the right career path for me and I am a hard worker dont get me wrong.